The situation for foreigners in South Africa is deteriorating, Nigeria's foreign minister said Monday, as anti-immigrant mobs have convulsed the country and two Nigerians were reported dead under disputed circumstances.
For weeks, South Africa has been the site of protests, some of them violent, against undocumented immigrants blamed for taking jobs and resources.
Those with documents have also been targeted as citizens take measures into their own hands over pressing social problems that analysts say are largely due to government failures to provide services.
Growing security fears have already prompted tens of thousands of people from other African nations, including Ghana, Malawi, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda and Liberia, to flee.
"There are no signs that the situation is improving," Nigeria's foreign minister Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu said while announcing more evacuation flights.
Hundreds of Nigerians have already left South Africa, long a magnet for documented and undocumented African immigrants due to its industrialised economy.
Odumegwu-Ojukwu also reiterated a call for South African authorities to investigate the deaths of two Nigerian nationals on June 28, Musa Yunana Joe and Charles Iroegbu, killed amid "the ongoing xenophobic protests and attacks of migrants".
South African police said the first death was an isolated shooting that did not appear to be related to the protests.
They also rejected as "baseless" attempts to link the second death to the protests, saying it occurred when the man collapsed and died while being taken into custody for alleged possession of drugs.
Chrispin Phiri, foreign ministry spokesman, said the South African government had repeatedly asked the Nigerian high commission to submit "any actionable information to our law enforcement authorities, which will enable a thorough, objective investigation in accordance with the rule of law".
Thousands leave
The deaths of foreigners have drawn outsized attention from their home governments amid the heightened tensions -- though South Africa has had a longstanding violent crime problem that pre-dates the outbreak of xenophobic violence.
At the same time, South African authorities have been accused of not doing enough to crack down on the violence, which has killed at least four foreign nationals and seen shops owned by immigrants burned and looted.
Separately, Ghana and South Africa last week were embroiled in a diplomatic row following the killing of a Ghanaian national.
Pretoria said the death of Ghanaian national Bashiru Isak was not linked to the anti-immigrant protests.
More than 35,000 people had been either officially repatriated or deported from South Africa since June 7, the country's border authority said last week.
The police announced Monday that they had arrested more than 6,800 illegal migrants in the week of June 29-July 5.



COPEC Boss Urges GoldBod CEO to Embrace Criticism for Better Performance
Otumfuo Departs Kumasi for Two‑Week Working Visit to the United States
Minority Challenges GoldBod CEO, Signals Next Steps
COKA Urges NPP Executives to Return to Core Values and Rebuild for 2028
'We don't reject partnerships, but those partnerships must be on our terms' — Ma...
Police arrest suspect in GH¢1.1m fake gold deal in Berekum
C/R: Wildlife Guard shot dead by suspected poacher at Kakum Forest Reserve
Here are areas affected by planned power interruption on Sunday from 3 AM to 6 P...
Upper East youth raise concern over ‘snail-paced’ development
Gold buyer reportedly shot dead in daylight robbery at Manso Adubia