The Bono Regional Police Command has arrested a 36-year-old man, Gyamfi Christian, in connection with an alleged fake gold syndicate operating in the Berekum Municipality.
His arrest follows a complaint lodged by 29-year-old gold aggregator Christopher Awuni, who reported that four men posing as gold sellers had sold him 110 troy ounces of gold for GH¢1.1 million in July 2026.
The gold was later tested and found to be fake. Police have since retained the items as exhibits as investigations continue.
According to the Police, intelligence-led operations led to the arrest of Gyamfi Christian at a hideout in Wamfie in the Dormaa East District on August 17, 2026.
Bono Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Chief Inspector Thomas Akeelah, said the suspect admitted participating in the transaction and told investigators that the deal was concluded at Drobo in the Jaman South Municipality.
“During interrogation, he admitted involvement in the transaction and disclosed that it took place at Drobo in the Jaman South Municipality,” Chief Inspector Akeelah said.
Three Accomplices Identified
Police said the suspect named three alleged accomplices as Abraham, alias Frenchman, who is believed to be the leader of the group, Isaac Antwi and Balthazar.
The three suspects are currently at large, with efforts underway to apprehend them.
Preliminary investigations have also uncovered another alleged case involving the same group, in which a victim was reportedly defrauded of GH¢1.4 million at Drobo earlier this year.
The development has prompted the Police to caution members of the public to exercise extreme care when engaging in gold transactions, particularly with individuals whose identities and credentials have not been properly verified.
Chief Inspector Akeelah urged anyone who encounters suspicious gold-related activities to report them to the Police.
“The Bono Regional Police Command urges the public to exercise caution when engaging in gold transactions and report suspicious activities to the Police,” he said.
Gyamfi Christian remains in Police custody and is assisting with investigations as authorities work to establish the full extent of the alleged syndicate’s activities.
The Police have also appealed to the public to provide any information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects who remain at large.




'We don't reject partnerships, but those partnerships must be on our terms' — Ma...
Mahama receives five reports ahead of Ghana’s 2027 AU chairmanship
Police arrest suspect in GH¢1.1m fake gold deal in Berekum
C/R: Wildlife Guard shot dead by suspected poacher at Kakum Forest Reserve
Here are areas affected by planned power interruption on Sunday from 3 AM to 6 P...
Upper East youth raise concern over ‘snail-paced’ development
Gold buyer reportedly shot dead in daylight robbery at Manso Adubia
50 Aspirants Pick Forms for 11 National Executive Positions in NPP Elections
Amoah: Minority’s Questions on GoldBod Are Legitimate and Necessary