Leadership is the ability to know what comes first and what comes second. Every leader has many important things that fight to be regarded as more important as the others. Every leader has a home, a family, a church, a business, a school and the list goes on. What comes first?
There is a right order and a leader knows what is more important and must have priority. A leader knows that God always comes first. Almost every seasoned leader will tell you that the family is of utmost importance. A leader must be able to balance his priorities and allow the right order of this group of priorities. Note the warning below:
A false balance is abomination to the Lord: but a just weight is his delight.
No one wants to be an abomination to the Lord. Some people place so much emphasis on the family that they neglect God. Others neglect their families in the name of serving God. Both of these are wrong. And the leader is the one who rises up and creates the perfect balance. Maintain the right balance between all the priorities that God has given you. Nobody wants to get to heaven only to hear that they neglected a whole area of ministry. Nobody wants to get to heaven to discover that they were actually considered an abomination to God. No, God forbid!
I believe God has put me in the office of a teacher. That is my first priority! I love evangelising and I love to pastor. But God has directed me to put the first things first!
Ten Spiritual Priorities
- You must give yourself to the Lord BEFORE you give yourself to any man or woman. And this they did, not as we hoped, BUT FIRST GAVE THEIR OWN SELVES TO THE LORD and unto us by the will of God.
2 Corinthians 8:5
- You must pay your tithes BEFORE you pay for other things. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
1 Corinthians 16:2
- You must seek the kingdom of God BEFORE you seek any other earthly thing. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- You must forgive BEFORE you attempt to pray, worship or sacrifice to God. Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
- You must set the apostolic ministry BEFORE the prophetic, pastoral, teaching, and evangelistic ministries. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, second prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:28
- You must fulfil your calling BEFORE you give attention to other aspects of ministry. For I delivered unto you FIRST OF ALL THAT WHICH I ALSO RECEIVED, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures
1 Corinthians 15:3
- Prayer in a minister's life must come BEFORE any other activity. I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men
- The testing of a person's character must happen BEFORE he is appointed into any office. And let these also FIRST BE PROVED; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
- The character of a person must be shown at home BEFORE the person can be acceptable. But if any widow has children or nephews, let them learn FIRST TO SHEW PIETY AT HOME, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
- The pastor who ministers must benefit BEFORE others benefit from the existence of the church.
The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
2 Timothy 2:6
Do you consider yourself a leader? Then maintain the right balance between all the things that God has given you to do. We will be glad to follow your example. Nobody wants to get to heaven only to be told that they were totally off course whilst on earth. Even within the offices of ministry, it is important to balance your different callings. Perhaps you are an evangelist and a pastor; you must balance the two and ensure you fulfil each one to its utmost. Father, we pray for wisdom to balance our priorities right!
By Dag Heward-Mills