Zambia's main opposition party said Monday it rejected government claims that its members -- including several under arrest -- were involved in militia or insurgent activity around last week's election.
A cabinet statement late Sunday said police had arrested 11 people, including opposition figures, in a raid on August 13, the day of the vote, that targeted a suspected militia posing "a serious threat to State security".
Thursday's elections in the copper-rich southern African nation were largely peaceful but the run-up was marred by opposition claims of intimidation, arrests, abductions and violence.
The main opposition NRPUP party led by former government minister Brian Mundubile -- the main challenger to President Hakainde Hichilema's bid for a second term -- said the raid had been at his home.
Shots were fired and a parliamentarian struck, it said Monday.
The party "rejects with absolute disdain the spurious and entirely false claims made by the Zambian Government that the NRPUP, its leadership or its members have been involved in insurgency, militia activity or any related conduct whatsoever," it said.
Its statement said the security operation was on August 14, the day after the election.
The cabinet said the operation was on August 13 "to apprehend suspected militia and persons of interest".
Some of those arrested were connected to "military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, thus posing a serious threat to State security", it said.
"The individuals in issue were found in possession of high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials for use in armed insurrection," it said.
It listed six opposition figures as among those charged and in custody.
The latest results from late Sunday showed that Hichilema had nearly 60 percent of votes after ballots from 135 of the 226 constituencies had been counted.
A candidate needs more than 50 percent to win outright or face a run-off.
ho-br kjm



'Your visit is perfect' — Defeated Kokofu pledges support to newly elected Ashan...
Upper East Regional Minister pushes for revival of abandoned Bolgatanga Sports S...
Two killed, seven injured in Sienta-MMT bus crash at Assin Fosu
Dome-Kwabenya-Kitase residents hit streets over 20-year abandoned road project
14 arrested over alleged cultivation and distribution of ‘wee’ in Nabdam
FDA cautions against use of chemicals to ripen plantain
August 17: Cedi appreciates, sells at GHS12.30 on forex market, GHS10.96 on BoG ...
Ghana's missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
Fire breaks out at Gushegu Nursing and Midwifery Training College dormitory
'Go ahead and imprison me because of my friendship with Bawumia, I will come bac...