Kindergarten is a very important stage in every child’s life. A stage that kids should be allowed to play, explore, and learn.
In this article, you will be introduced to a list of kindergarten readiness skills based upon a preschool inventory given to children at a local Pre-Kindergarten program.
You can use it as a guiding document or a checklist of the things you should be teaching your kids before kindergarten.
PERSONAL AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
• Shows an eagerness to learn and age-appropriate curiosity
• Persists in completing a task and is willing to ask for help if needed
• Exemplifies a pleasant and cooperative personality
• Follows rules and routines
• Manages transitions (going from one activity to the next)
• Demonstrates normal activity level
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHERS
• Interacts easily with one or more children
• Interacts easily with familiar adults
• Participates in group activities
• Plays well with others
• Takes turns and shares
• Cleans up after play
• Seeks adult help when needed to resolve conflicts
• Uses words to resolve conflicts
LANGUAGE AND LITERACY
• Listens attentively to directions and conversations
• Follows one and two-step directions
• Speaks clearly and can be easily understood without the need for contextual clues
• Can sequence events in an oral conversation
LITERATURE AND READING
• Listens with interest to stories read aloud
• Shows interest in reading-related activities
• Retells information from a story
• Uses pictures to communicate ideas
• Scribbles draws shapes or attempt to create letter-like symbols to write words or ideas
• Recites/sings the alphabet
• Identifies upper-case letters
• Identifies lower-case letters
• Matches upper-case letters to the lower-case letter counterpart
PATTERNS AND RELATIONSHIPS
• Sorts by color, shape, and size
• Orders or seriates several objects on the basis of one attribute (i.e. “size”– small, medium, large)
• Recognizes simple patterns and duplicates them (i.e. circle, square, circle, square)
NUMBER CONCEPT AND OPERATIONS
• Rote counts to 20
• Demonstrates one-to-one correspondence when counting 10 objects
• Matches oral numbers to their written numerals
• Identifies numerals 0-10
GEOMETRY AND SPATIAL RELATIONS
• Identifies 4 shapes- circle, square, rectangle, triangle
• Demonstrates concepts of positional/directional concepts (up/down, over/under, in/out, behind/in front of, beside/between, top/bottom, inside/outside, above/below, high/low, right/left, off/on, first/last, far/near, go/stop).
• Shows understanding of and uses comparative words (big/little, large/small, short/long, tall/short, slow/fast, few/many, empty/full, less/more).
• Pedals and steers a tricycle
• Jumps in place, landing on two feet
• Jumps consecutively- 7 jumps
• Balances on one foot for 5 seconds
• Hops on one foot 2-3 hops
• Hops on one foot- 6 ft.
• Throws a ball with direction- 5 ft.
• Catches a thrown ball with arms and body
• Climbs a playground ladder
• Skips smoothly for 20 feet
• Stacks 10 small blocks
• Strings large beads
• Completes a seven-piece interlocking puzzle
• Makes a pancake, snake, and ball from playdough
• Grasps pencil correctly
• Copies: vertical line, horizontal line, circle, cross, square, V, triangle
• Prints first name
• Grasps scissors correctly
• Cuts within 1/4″ of a straight line
• Cuts out a small square, triangle, and circle
• Uses a glue stick appropriately
• Uses an appropriate amount of glue for tasks
• Identifies 10 colors: red, yellow, blue, green, orange, purple, black, white, brown, pink
• Uses a variety of art materials for tactile experience and exploration (paint, crayons, markers, clay, etc)
• Enjoys singing
• Dances like no one is watching
• Makes believe with objects
• Takes on pretend roles and situations
Remember parents, this list is just a guide.
If you’re looking for some practical suggestions on things you can do to help you identify your child’s learning style, then check this out https://www.excellenthomeclasses.com/guide-to-better-grade/
About The Author
Emmanuel Asiedu is a Content Writer and a Home Tuition Analyst at Excellent Home Classes.
He helps connect parents and students to expert tutors all over the country.
You can reach him via email: [email protected] or visit: www.excellenthomeclasses.com
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."
Reproduction is authorised provided the author's permission is granted.