The Minister for Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, says less than 20 kilometres of clearing work remains on the Accra-Kumasi Expressway before the project reaches the Kumasi enclave.
Mr Agbodza said significant progress had been made on the project, with only a relatively short stretch left before the expressway connects with the Kumasi Orbiter, popularly known as the Kumasi Ring Road.
Speaking on Friday, August 21, 2026, the Minister estimated that between 10 and 15 kilometres of work could remain before the project reaches Kumasi.
“We have less than 20 kilometres. I’m sure we have maybe around 10, 15 kilometres to hit Kumasi itself,” he said.
The Accra-Kumasi Expressway is a major infrastructure project expected to strengthen connectivity between Ghana’s two largest cities, reduce travel time and support economic activity along the corridor.
Mr Agbodza also acknowledged the role of the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, in advocating for improved road infrastructure within the Kumasi area.
He recalled that the Asantehene had emphasised the need to complete key roads to facilitate the operationalisation of the Sewua Hospital, which is expected to serve as a regional referral facility for Kumasi.
According to the Minister, Kofi Job Company Limited, the contractor working on the project, has since returned to site and is making good progress.
“Since then, the contractor, Kofi Job, has returned to site and is doing very well,” Mr Agbodza said.
He explained that the contractor was nearing completion of one section of the road and would subsequently move to the opposite side to continue the works.
“As we are told, he’s almost done with one leg of the work and then the one that is to the right-hand side is where he’ll be working on. But we can assure you that he’s going to go ahead and complete the work,” he added.
Mr Agbodza said the remaining portion of the expressway is located near the point where it is expected to connect with the Kumasi Orbiter.
He expressed appreciation to the Ghana Armed Forces for their assistance with the clearing exercise and commended the Asantehene for his continued guidance and support for road development in the Ashanti Region.



President Mahama calls for five permanent UN Security Council seats for Africa
GRIDCo announces 15-hour power interruption in parts of Greater Accra
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene
Nine Blue Water Guards arrested over alleged bribery, mpersonation of NAIMOS at ...
Less than 20km of clearing work remains on Accra-Kumasi expressway – Roads Minis...
My father predicted family feud, church division before his death – Adwoa Safo
Afenyo-Markin knows why I called him ‘extortionist’; I dare him to sue me – Samm...
45-year-old man accused of assaulting 90-year-old woman over witchcraft allegati...
50 aspirants pick NPP national executive election forms; filing begins August 23
'Contrary to law': US judge strikes down Trump's 75-country visa ban