Ghana’s Deputy High Commissioner to Canada and former Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS), General (rtd.) Thomas Oppong-Peprah, has denied reports that he is under investigation by the Ghana Armed Forces over alleged procurement irregularities.
Gen. Oppong-Peprah described a publication by the New Republic as “malicious” and rejected allegations linking him to the procurement of armoured vehicles, helicopters and other military equipment.
In a statement responding to the newspaper’s August 20, 2026 edition, the retired General said he had neither been summoned nor notified to appear before any military board of inquiry over the allegations.
“I was not the Chief of the Defence Staff in 2023 so how did I choose and procure armoured vehicles for the Ghana Armed Forces in 2023?” he questioned.
Disputes involvement in 2023 purchases
Gen. Oppong-Peprah explained that major military acquisitions, including aircraft, ships and armoured vehicles, are undertaken through processes involving the Ministry of Defence and General Headquarters rather than being decisions made by an individual officer.
He declined to comment on the decision to procure BTR armoured vehicles, stressing that he was not serving as CDS at the time and therefore did not participate in the decision-making process.
He, however, confirmed that he saw the vehicles during a visit to Azerbaijan Defence Industries in Baku.
According to him, he reported the deficiencies he identified during the visit to the then-Chief of the Defence Staff after returning to Ghana.
Rejects land sale and helicopter claims
The retired military officer also denied allegations that he sold lands belonging to the Ghana Armed Forces or purchased 40 vehicles for the military in 2022.
He further rejected claims linking him to a helicopter procurement deal involving a European company in 2023.
“You are talking about a helicopter deal in 2023 and yet referring to Gen. Oppong-Peprah when I was not the CDS in 2023. Is this not malicious?” he asked.
He challenged anyone with documentary evidence linking him to wrongdoing to make such evidence public.
Addresses Lexus LX 600 allegation
Responding to reports that a Lexus LX 600 vehicle had been reserved for him, Gen. Oppong-Peprah said his ability to afford such a vehicle could be explained by his long military career, family inheritance and his wife’s employment overseas.
“Are they saying we can’t buy a Lexus or build a house of our choice?” he asked.
He maintained that he had nothing to hide and again challenged anyone with evidence that he had misappropriated public funds to present it publicly.
“I say again, if anybody has any evidence of Gen. Oppong-Peprah misappropriating any funds I am throwing the challenge for the person to come out publicly. The false publications will not help them in anyway,” he said.
The Ministry of Defence and the Ghana Armed Forces have yet to officially comment on the publication and the allegations raised against the retired General.



It’s unlawful for landlords to increase rent charges without approval from us — ...
Rent Control Boss directs landlords, hostel operators to issue rent cards
“What type of scholarship pays only 25%; If you can’t spell it, don’t write it” ...
Government gives Adamus Resources 12-month reprieve to revive mining operations
'I was not the Chief of the Defence Staff in 2023 to procure armoured vehicles' ...
’We must unite to win 2028 elections’ - Bawumia tells new NPP executives
Police arrest 27-year-old over provocative TikTok video on death of Mion Lana
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo dies
Muntaka orders police to crack down on vigilante groups, unauthorised guards
Wontumi campaign team picks NPP National Chairman nomination forms despite 20-ye...