The Akwambo Festival is celebrated in the month of March or April by the people of Abura Eyinanbrim, one of the traditional areas within Abura Asebu Kwamankese (AAK) Municipality of the Central region.
“Akwambo”, a Fante word which literally means ‘clearing the path’ was originally aimed at keeping the surroundings clean.
This year’s festival will attract many of the indigenes from the traditional area scattered all over the country and abroad as well as some government officials and other personalities within the country. Some of the invited guests are the Member of Parliament Elvis Morris Donkor as Special guests, Hon. Aba Hagan -MCE and many more to grace this special occasion.
The Odikro of Abura Eyinanbrim, Nana Amoakwah II, has called on the people of the area to support the effort construction of the Chip Zone (Chip Compound) in the area. This year's event is meant to bring together Sons and Daughters and Friends of Abura Eyinanbriman, both Home and Abroad, as part of ongoing efforts to rebuild the community and open up the area for investment and development.
The festival promises to be very educative and entertaining with power packed activities during the whole week. From Candle Light Procession, Miss Eyinanbrim Competition, Football Gala, Talent Night, Beach Party, Crazy Jens Flout etc, the Abura Eyinanbrim Akwambo festival is one that cannot be missed.
In this regard, the Odikro of Abura Eyinanbrim, and his planning committee have set aside a five-days period (from April 9th to April 13th) for the Homecoming event.
Nana Amoakwah II stated that the essence of celebrating the Akwawbo festival was to engender communal spirit, promote oneness as well as use the occasion to settle long-standing family disputes.
He urged natives abroad to discard the perception that something untoward would happen to them should they come home for the celebration and rather come home to support in building better communities.
Abura Eyinanbrim is noted for its Rich Traditional Culture and Beautiful Tourist attractions including some of the oldest artifact and Archeological sites in Ghana. It is also home of a variety of historical materials, culture.
The Odikro of Abura Eyinanbrim Nana Amoakwah II, Elders, and the Planning Committee of Abura Eyinanbrim have therefore thrown an open invitation to all citizens of the world and Ghanaians in particular, to join them in the celebration, catch the opportunity to witness beautiful Abura Eyinanbrim Tradition and explore business opportunities.
It is, therefore, an opportunity for Eyinanbrim people to meet at home.
Some of such historical relics are:
- The over Four (400) years big rock believe to be the foundation of the town. On top of these rock is designed “Oware” game which is believed to be played by the children of the gods in their leisure time.
- There is a river called “Nana Bruku” believed to be female, and is always protecting the township from oncoming danger.
Kakum National Park
Cape Coast Castle
Elmina bay resort
Coconut grove hotel
Mr. Antony Kontoh, Chairman for the Local Organizing Committee (LOC), announced the highlights of the program line up as follows.
Day 1, Thursday April 09, 2020
- Clean up exercise in all Township in the morning at 8:00am.
- Candle Light Procession from Tyeido to Eyinabrim at 6pm
- Short Welcome Ceremony (Culture Display, Pouring of Libation and
Christian Prayers at community Park) to kick start the 2020 Akwambo Festival at 8:30pm
Day 2, Friday April 10, 2020
- Volley Ball, Soccer (Women), Soccer (Under 12), Football Gala Competition around at 10:00am
- Multi-Color Crazy Jeans Flout at 3:00pm
Day 3, Saturday April 11, 2020
- Visitations to Abura Eyinanbrim Traditional Shrines (Akwambo), Firing of Mausketry and Asafo Songs at 9:30am
- Grand Durbar/ Fund Raising (Cultural Display, Poetry Recitals, to climax the Home Coming (Akwambo Festival) Occasion. Guest of Honor Elvis Morris Donkor, MP for Abura Dunkwa Kwamankese at 11:30am
- Family Gathering (Afisem Asiesie) at 3:30pm
- Street Jams, Carnival, Miss Eyinanbrim Competition, Pick and Acts, Apple Bit Competition, Talent Show at 7:00pm
Day 4, Sunday April 12, 2020
- Inter-denominational Church Service at 7:00am
- Finals Football Gala Competition (Township and Visitors) and Community Around at 1:00pm
- Easter Jams - Time 7:00pm
Day 5, Monday April 13, 2020
Easter Beach at 3:00pm