You Must Be Able To Work With Others!
Snakes are usually alone! Yet, they can be found hibernating together in a communal spot. Over one hundred rattlesnakes can be found together in a hole during winter. Sometimes in the mating season female snakes emit a pheromone that attracts male 3,500 poisonous cobras and this can also lead to a gathering of snakes in one area. Though they are usually alone, they are also able to work with others!
Many people do not know how to work with others. Working with others may be a difficult mountain to climb. But you must develop the art of working with different people. God wants to use you for much greater skills. May you become a master at working with others!
Seven People You Must Be Able to Work With
- Develop the art of working with lay people whom you do not pay. If you have to pay for everything you will be broke. Many good people want to volunteer their services. You must muster the art of getting them all involved. Amazingly, people feel so happy when they are given a little task to perform. Use the volunteers in your church and you will be amazed at their output.
- Develop the art of working with technical people. It is important to know how to work with technical people because they have a way of contradicting the mission with their technicalities. Lawyers can write a constitution for a church that will destroy the church in future. Architects and Engineers can destroy the pastor's ministry by coming up with impractical ideas that can never be financed or finished. I am always able to recognize church buildings that will never be finished. The design is so bad, so impractical and expensive! You must develop the art of working with these people in such a way that they do not destroy you. You will do this by knowing a little about everything that is being done. Do not assume that you cannot understand what these professionals are saying. Open your mind, listen carefully and ask many questions. Do not black out and let them say you cannot understand. You will understand everything if you apply your mind to it!
- Develop the art of working with church members whom you preach to every Sunday. When you preach to people, it is not easy to discipline them, rebuke them and correct them in the work place. A pastor has to combine the roles of being soft and understanding with being hard and demanding! That is a skill you have to develop if you are going to work with your church members.
- Develop the art of working with people who are older than you. Some of the people you need most in life are older than you. With carefulness and respect, you will be able to work with those who are older than you.
- Develop the art of working with women. If you are a man, you must develop the art of working with women without having sex with them. It is not as simple as it sounds and many ministries have been destroyed by the women who worked there. On the other hand, if you are a woman, you must develop the art of working with fellow women without quarrelling with them or being jealous. You must rise above pettiness and accept that you need their help.
- Develop the art of working with unbelievers whose expertise you need. There are some die-hard sinners you will have to engage if you are to succeed. Sometimes people of other faiths are better suited for certain jobs. You must master the art of working with certain people who do not believe the same things that you do. I have several people from other religions who work for me. In fact, one of my oldest workers is not a Christian at all.
- Develop the art of working with people who do not like each other but who need to work together. Paul had this problem with two ladies, Euodias and Syntyche. He said to them, “I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord” (Philippians 4:2). People who get along with you may not get along with each other. The fact that they do not get along with each other can make you lose one of them. You must fight to work with everyone whom God has destined to be with you.
Mountain climbing involves working with others. Climbing a mountain is the passion of mountain climbers. Indeed, we all have mountains that we have desired to climb. Your mountain may be to build a large church! Your mountain may be a vision to be in the ministry. Your mountain may be what God has called you to do. You are going to have to learn how to work with people, especially if you have a call for great things.
By Dag Heward-Mills
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."
Reproduction is authorised provided the author's permission is granted.