
Work on the reconstruction and extension of the Accra–Tema Motorway has reached 50 per cent completion, according to project consultant Kwabena Bempong, CEO of Associated Consultant Ltd.
He said the redesigned motorway—engineered to last 25 years—will become a 10‑lane dual carriageway, with a three‑lane urban highway on each side of the existing motorway. The two inner lanes will retain the original concrete pavement, while the three outer lanes will be asphalted.
The full project covers:
- 19.5 km from Tema to Tetteh Quarshie
- 5.7 km from Tetteh Quarshie to Apenkwa
- 2.5 km from Tesano to Neoplan Station at Kwame Nkrumah Circle
To support pedestrian movement across the expanded corridor, 10 footbridges will be constructed at strategic locations.
Construction is being undertaken by Maripoma Enterprise Limited.
During an inspection tour last Wednesday, Roads and Highways Minister Governs Kwame Agbodza led engineers from the ministry and the Ghana Highways Authority to assess progress on the motorway upgrade and other major road projects in the Greater Accra Region, including the Dodowa–Afienya–Dawhenya road and the dualisation of the 22‑km Adentan–Dodowa stretch.
Mr. Bempong noted that both the substructure and superstructure of the Tetteh Quarshie Interchange have been completed. Three additional interchanges will be built at:
- Teshie Link
- Community 18 Junction
- Lashibi
He said concrete works are finished and retaining walls are currently being installed. Once completed, those sections will be filled and opened to traffic.
Drainage works have been a major focus over the past 18 months, with all 20 culverts completed. The project also requires replacing all steel bridges—some over 60 years old—to meet modern structural and hydraulic standards capable of handling future flooding.
Minister Agbodza urged the contractor to take advantage of the government’s 24-hour policy to accelerate delivery, noting that an additional 10 per cent progress had been made since his last visit.
He expressed satisfaction with the pace of work but stressed the need for even greater urgency:
“A project like this elsewhere will be done 24/7, and there is no reason why you cannot work even more in the night than the day.”
He warned that motorists cannot continue to endure prolonged construction delays and encouraged intensified activity on site to meet deadlines.



62 Ghanaians Dead, 15 Missing: Ablakwa Sounds Alarm Over Illegal Recruitment Int...
GUTA Warns: Ghana May Miss China Zero‑Tariff Windfall Without Urgent Support for...
Ghana’s ‘Boom Without Backbone’: New Study Says a Decade of High Growth Masked a...
“The Warnings Were There — We Missed Them”: Ex‑BoG Deputy Gov Says Ghana’s Debt ...
Oppong Nkrumah Mulls Supreme Court Review After Injunction Blow: “Ruling Admits ...
Agbodza Targets ‘Inflated Compensation Cartel’; EOCO Probe Looms for Two Surveyo...
Ghana Secures €163m Debt Deal With Belgium, Edging Closer to Full Restructuring ...
'I did not communicate my intended position well' — Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologi...
UN holds second informal straw poll for next leader
GoldBod cannot escape scrutiny over $1.7bn DGPP loss — Kofi Tonto