In spite of the tension and loss of lives at Anloga over the weekend, the installation of a new king for the Anlo State to succeed the late Torgbui Adeladza III, who died some eight years ago, seems to be complete.
The Makorsor (Paramount Chief) of Somey Traditional Area, Torgbui Hor II, the most senior ruler in the Anlo Traditional Council, who revealed this to the media in Accra yesterday, said Mr. Francis Nyonyo Agboada is now the Awoamefia of Anlo under the stool name, Torgbui Sri III, having undergone the final ritual.
The challenge now, according to the 88-year-old chief, was how to bring unity among the various factions in the area.
Torgbui Hor made the revelation after he led a group of 11 senior Anlo chiefs to pay homage to the new Awoamefia at his residence in Accra.
“Certainly Yes! Everything has been done and the installation is over. Having been nominated, selected, confined and installed, he is no longer the Regent to the stool, but a fully-installed Awoamefia,” he stated in response to a question from journalists.
According to the Makorsor, those who made the loudest noise by trying to kick against the installation ceremony at Anloga were just blowing hot air, as they were not king makers, adding that they should keep their distance from the stool.
“I don't know what is wrong with them. What happened the last time at Anloga was an eyesore. Such a thing had never happened in our land before, and all those who misbehaved in this matter should be punished,” he stressed.
Torgbui Hor recalled how in the morning of last Thursday, he and a number of other chiefs were informed of the kidnapping of a policeman by an irate mob.
He condemned the eventual murder of General Constable Moses Daba and called for a full-scale investigation into the matter.
The Somey chief, who was sure that normalcy would soon return to the area, hinted that a meeting, slated for the 13th of this month, would deal extensively with how to extend an olive branch to all disenchanted factions.
Other leaders present were Torgbui Adrapkanya (Afife), Torgbui Gamor (Ave-Havi), Torgbui Dadzie (Penyi), Torgbui Dzoku (Dzodze), Torgbui Fianu Gbordekor (Ave-Afiadenyigba), Torgbui Ashiakor (Wheta), Torgbui Nyamasadzi, Torgbui Kuogo II (both of Anloga), Albert Sadika, acting stool father, and Torgbui Duklui Attipoe, spokesman.
The chiefs called on the new Awoamefia to pay homage and enquire about his health as demanded by Anlo tradition.
In a related development, a number of elders and high priests of the three Adzovia gates, who were reportedly present at last week's installation, also called on their new leader.
Their spokesperson, Mr. Philip Kofi Sorkpor, said the way forward was to take steps to unite the people. He regretted the bloody incident that characterized the installation of the new Awoamefia, but stressed that it was generated by opposition factions.
“It is very sad but it certainly did not start from our camp,” he concluded.
It would be recalled that Anloga, the traditional seat of the Anlo State, was over the weekend turned into a theater of mayhem when three civilians and a policeman were killed during a clash between the police and some incensed youth who were protesting against the installation.
Several people also sustained various degrees of injury, and were hospitalized at the Keta District Hospital in the Volta Region.
The dead were Constable Moses Daba of the Ho Police Task Force (Service Number 399560), Mama Senyo, 48, Israel Ahadzi, 28 and Mawuko Togba, 47.
The Police Operation Leader, DSP Aikins Darkey and ASP Mifetu, of the Keta Division, were both hit in the leg.
A high-powered government delegation led by Mr Kwamena Bartels, Minister of the Interior, was dispatched to the area on Saturday to access the situation on the ground.
Other members of the team were Mr. Albert Kan-Dapaah, Minister of Defence; Mr. Joe Ghartey, Attorney-General and Minister of Justice; Mr. Kofi Dzamesi, Volta Regional Minister; Mr. Kofi Ahiabor, Keta District Chief Executive (DCE); DCOP Patrick Timbillah, Director-General of Police Operations, Headquarters; Lt. Col. E. W. Kotia, Commanding Officer, 66 Artillery Regiment, Ho; and ACP Bernard Dery, Volta Regional Police Commander.
The team also visited those on admission at the Keta Government Hospital. Calm has since returned to the area, even though a number of men had vacated the town.
95 suspects were initially arrested, out of which a Ho High Court remanded 7 in police custody.
By Bennett Akuaku & Wisdom Awuku