Former Ghana international Hans Adu Sarpei has voiced strong support for Otto Addo, insisting the Black Stars coach should have remained in charge despite recent setbacks in friendly matches.
Following consecutive losses to Germany and Austria, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) announced Addo’s dismissal. Addo, who returned as head coach in March 2024, had previously guided Ghana to qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Sarpei, a veteran of the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, downplayed concerns over Ghana’s inconsistent form in friendlies, emphasizing the difference between preparatory matches and competitive tournaments.
"When we didn't qualify for the [AFCON], there was a lot of shouting," Sapei told Joy Sports.
“Then he qualified us for the World Cup. He brought the team to the World Cup; he should go with the team [to the World Cup]. World Cup and friendly games are totally different,” Sarpei said.
Addo had faced criticism for failing to qualify Ghana for the 2025 AFCON, marking the country’s first absence from the tournament in 20 years. Nevertheless, Sarpei believes his experience and leadership remain vital for the upcoming global competition.
As the GFA searches for a replacement, former Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah, ex-Morocco coach Walid Regragui, and Saudi Arabia’s Herve Renard are among the names reportedly under consideration.
The Black Stars will travel to North America for friendlies against Mexico on May 22 and Wales on June 2 in preparation for the World Cup.
Ghana has been drawn in Group L alongside England, Croatia, and Panama, with hopes of reaching the knockout stage for the first time since 2010.



AMA refunds driver’s money, sanctions City Guard over alleged extortion
How boys aged 15 to 19 are denied condoms and described as being ‘too young to b...
Stay away from drugs and protect your future — NACOC boss tells youth
“You can’t claim the gains and deny the losses” – Former Suame MCE to Sammy Gyam...
Akosombo-Volta line fault cause of power disruption in parts of the country — GR...
Nationwide blackout: We're working to restore full power supply — GRIDCo assures
Accountability cannot be answered with insults
Six injured as Toyota Corolla plunges into Birim River on Accra–Kumasi highway
Soldier remanded over murder of 45-year-old man at Afienya
Cocoa farmers will reject NDC in 2028 if their concerns are not addressed – Mart...