Cyclone Idai which cut a deadly swathe through Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe last month, is expected to cost the three countries more than $2 billion (1.77 billion euros), the World Bank said.
"(E)arly estimates point to over US$2.0 billion in recovery costs for the infrastructure and livelihood impacts," it said in a statement issued after a meeting in Washington on Thursday.
"To date, about three million people have been affected, with near total damage in the worst affected areas," it said.
Idai slammed into the Mozambican port city of Beira on March 14 then continued a deadly path westward towards Zimbabwe.
In Mozambique alone, more than 600 people died among the 1.5 million affected. About 344 have been killed in Zimbabwe. Southern Malawi was also drowned in heavy rainfall in an earlier phase of the storm, killing 59.
The lender said the cyclone had damaged the infrastructure corridor connecting the Mozambican port of Beira with Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe,"disrupting regional trade and supplies of fuel, wheat and other goods."
The UN has appealed for donations of $282 million (251 million euros) to fund emergency assistance for the next three months.
The World Bank called for "global collaboration" as recovery and reconstruction gets underway for poor and vulnerable populations "in the face of climate and disaster risk."
str-mgu/ri



'We don't reject partnerships, but those partnerships must be on our terms' — Ma...
Mahama receives five reports ahead of Ghana’s 2027 AU chairmanship
Police arrest suspect in GH¢1.1m fake gold deal in Berekum
C/R: Wildlife Guard shot dead by suspected poacher at Kakum Forest Reserve
Here are areas affected by planned power interruption on Sunday from 3 AM to 6 P...
Upper East youth raise concern over ‘snail-paced’ development
Gold buyer reportedly shot dead in daylight robbery at Manso Adubia
50 Aspirants Pick Forms for 11 National Executive Positions in NPP Elections
Amoah: Minority’s Questions on GoldBod Are Legitimate and Necessary