The General Overseer of Action Chapel International, Archbishop Nicholas Duncan-Williams, has revealed that some “very powerful people with deep pockets” who previously profited from illegally sourced Ghanaian gold have lost direct access to the commodity following the establishment of the Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod).
According to the Archbishop, some of the individuals, most of them foreign nationals, had previously told him about the huge profits they were making from gold obtained through illegal mining operations in Ghana.
Speaking in an interview on Joy FM on Monday, August 17, 2026, Archbishop Duncan-Williams recounted meeting some of the individuals during a trip to the Middle East, where he hosted them to dinner.
He said the conversation turned to Ghana’s gold trade, during which the individuals disclosed that large quantities of gold had entered their country through illegal channels.
He said they claimed the value of gold purchased through illegal routes was several times higher than that traded through legal channels.
The Archbishop said the situation changed following the introduction of GoldBod, which he said was intended to regularise the gold trade and promote responsible mining and legal transactions.
He disclosed that he had recently received several calls from some of the individuals asking him to intervene on their behalf and help them gain access to gold through GoldBod.
Archbishop Duncan-Williams said he declined to assist them and instead directed some of them to officials of the GoldBod to understand the applicable rules.
He said some of the individuals had previously used Ghanaians as fronts for their gold-related activities.
“We have so many foreigners behind the illegal gold mine and they use some of our own people to front it, and I don't believe our people understand and know the kinds of money that is being made from their sweat and labour,” he said.
The Archbishop reiterated that GoldBod had changed the way some of these individuals accessed Ghanaian gold.
“Since the GoldBod came in to regularise and make sure that we have a responsible way of mining in the country, I've had so many calls from some of these people,” he said.
He said some callers claimed they had previously enjoyed access to gold but could no longer obtain the commodity since GoldBod was established.
According to him, some even offered to pay him in US dollars if he could help them gain access to gold through the Board.
“I tell them I can't help them. I don't understand how this thing works, so I don't want to get involved,” he said.
He said he sometimes referred such individuals directly to GoldBod officials so they could understand the procedures governing the purchase and sale of gold.
“I tell them, contact this person, ask this person. They will tell you the rules and how the GoldBod operates,” he said.
When asked whether he had received calls from people involved in illegal mining, Archbishop Duncan-Williams confirmed that some of those who contacted him were foreign nationals.
“I've had calls from foreign nationals... we used to buy gold from them, and now we don't have access to it anymore. Since the GoldBod came into place, is there a way you can help...” he quoted one of the callers as saying.
However, he declined to disclose the identities of the individuals when asked during the interview, explaining that he was constrained in what he could publicly reveal.
Illegal mining
Archbishop Duncan-Williams also raised concerns about the continued activities of illegal miners and their impact on Ghana’s environment.
He said illegal mining was destroying water bodies and agricultural lands and warned that the consequences could eventually affect the country’s food and water security.
He called on churches and Christians to pray for the leadership of GoldBod, as well as police and military personnel involved in efforts to combat illegal mining.
The Archbishop, however, stressed that prayer should complement rather than replace enforcement of the law.
“I'm not saying that the law shouldn't be applied. I'm saying that we should pray for those who are enforcing the law to be empowered to do their job,” he said.
GoldBod is mandated to buy, sell, assay and export gold and other precious minerals in Ghana.
The institution was established through an Act of Parliament in 2025 as part of measures to strengthen Ghana’s gold trade, address revenue leakages and combat illegal mining and gold smuggling.



Miracles Aboagye picks nomination forms to contest NPP Communications Director p...
DJ K.A returns to Kessben FM after leaked intimate video saga
How Jasikan midwives delivered baby at roadside
High Court adjourns Adu-Boahene trial to August 25 over pending Supreme Court in...
'Some of these people doing illegal mining are working with powers' — Duncan-Wil...
How powerful people who profited from illegal gold mining approached Duncan Will...
GTEC orders striking senior management officials at public universities to retur...
Unauthorised collection of dues from national service personnel prohibited – NAS...
My GoldBod criticism constructive, not bitterness; IMF says GoldBod is failing –...
NPP's 2024 defeat was largely caused by grassroots neglect – Ahiagbah