Ghanaians, rather sadly are waking up each day to the very issues the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia 2016 campaign claimed it would not engage in when given power.
According to candidate Akufo Addo, his government would protect the public purse, punish officials who dare engage in corruption, will avoid a government of family and friends, fast-track development of the country among others. The reverse as we speak is the case.
Corruption and amassment of wealth are rife in the government but nobody gets punished. Appointees that are glaringly complicit rather get cleared by a Police investigative wing headed by the President’s own in-law whom he conveniently appointed. One other thing which has turn out to be a mere fluke was Akufo Addo’s directive in opposition, that persons keen on amassing wealth should rather than his government opt for the private sector. Wealth amassment ongoing.
The government which has also become full of family, friends, ex-girlfriends, natives, in-laws is also faced with crass ineptitude, thievery, contract rip-offs, resignations etc leading to unending scandals. The scandals have become rampant to the point of #ONE DAY, ONE SCANDAL.
Examples of the scandals are $1.22billion Ghana Card project, $20,000 bribe demand by the Presidency from any investor seeking to meet the President, re-introduction of SHIFT SYSTEM due to lack of infrastructure and funding to pay the 3-terms fees, Forestry Commission CEO, Sir John and Chairman Wontumi’s involvement in galamsey,
Others are Australia games Visa scandal, Cash4Seat scandal, GEPA CEO/Deputies diverting company cash into private accounts, unprecedented #998 presidential staffers, collapse of indigenous banks and about 15,000 job losses under Prez Akufo Addo, Kwesi Nyantakyi’s bribe demand on behalf of the President, dubious $2.5 million Ghana Post GPS etc.
Below is a list of only 60 scandals that have rocked the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia Government;
1. BOST - Gh15m Contaminated fuel A scandal; where Ghana has lost about Gh15 million in revenue following moves by the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company Limited (BOST) to sell contaminated fuel to non-existing oil companies. Documents sighted revealed that BOST agreed and sold 5 million litres of contaminated fuel to non-existing Movenpinna Energy, ZUPOIL.
2. Ministry of Trade/Presidency - $100,000 Cash4Seat saga
Cash4Seat scandal; where the Presidency and Ministry of Trade and Industry and some private persons organized a program for which anyone seeking to sit close by the President had to pay $100,000 bribe to have access.
3. MASLOC - CEO in a unilateral Second hand car importation deal
A scandal where the CEO of Microfinance and Small Loan Center (MASLOC) CEO has been caught in matters of impropriety including singlehandedly procuring about 1,800 home used vehicles from Dextro Impex.
4. GEPA CEO and Deputies sharing company cash A scandal about the CEO of Ghana Export Promotion Authority, [GEPA] and her 2 Deputies transferring monies from the State Enterprise coffers into their personal accounts.
5. NLA CEO granting his in-law sole sourced contract exceeding CEO's limit
A scandal about the CEO of the National Lotteries Authority [NLA], Kofi Osei Ameyaw awarding 11 contracts to the sister-in-law, an issue which has raised questions of conflict of interest. The CEO approved the contracts worth more than half a million cedis to Rama Hassan to supply end-of-year packages.
6. MMT CEO/Procurement Officer on tape seeking to breach procurement processes
Metro Mass Transit [MMT] scandal in which the Managing Director was caught on tape circumventing procurement processes in the acquisition of some 300 buses for the company.
7. Planting 4 Food/Jobs - Gh18million dubious expenditure
A scandal where Minister for Food and Agriculture, Dr Afriyie Akoto was found wanting over a GH10million contract to supply chemicals to fight fall army worms. The procured chemicals turned out to be fake, could not help farmers combat the devastating worms. The Gh8million allocated for the public education to combat fall army worm invasion also saw very little being done, leaving farmers at the mercy of the worms.
8. Dubious $2.5m Ghana Post GPS deal A scandal where the Akufo Addo Government connived with a company, Vokakom to “dupe” the country $2.5 million in a digital and property address system deal. Even between President Akufo Addo and Dr Bawumia, there is contradiction over the cost of the project as one claim $2.5 million and the other $2.3million. A system Tech Experts say already exist on our phones.
9. Dubious $178 GVG Kelni/NCA deal A scandal where the Ministry of Communication has signed a $178 million questionable 10 year contract with KelniGVG to provide calls monitoring and revenue assurance, all of which an existing company, Afriwave and NCA have the capacity to do. KelniGVG which is known for supply of building material and groceries has no specific office locations, non-functioning website and reliable contacts for the new project.
10. Dubious $4m mobile interoperability deal A scandal in which the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia regime spent whopping $4.5million state money on a mobile money interoperability platform which the State would have gotten for free.
11. [email protected]; Gh5.3m GoG expenditure The Akufo Addo/Br Bawumia Government spent GH5.3million of tax payers’ money on [email protected] celebrations, contrary to promises that tax payers’ money would not be used. The Chairman of the [email protected] Committee, Ken Amankwah who doubles as the President’s brother inlaw is yet to fully render account for the celebration.
12. President Akufo Addo’s assurance that homosexuality in Ghana ‘is bound to happen”
A scandal where President Akufo Addo had through an interview on Aljazeera assured same sex lobbyists, advocates etc that Ghana will legalize the practice and all that his government required was pressure from the advocates.
13. $20,000 Flag Staff House [Presidency] appearance fee
A scandal that the Flagstaff House charges any investor seeking to meet President Akufo Addo $20,000, says Kennedy Agyapong. The MP who made the revelation on Oman fm said the last time he visited the Presidency; the particular office taking the bribe had an unimaginable queue.
14. Kwesi Nyantakyi/Akufo Addo, $5m; Dr Bawumia, $3m etc deal
Ace Investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas has his lenses caught Ghana Football Association President, Kwesi Nyantakyi negotiating a deal on behalf of President Akufo Addo, Vice President, Dr Bawumia and other top Government officials. Nyantakyi who is the President’s ally is seen in a video indicating he has Akufo Addo and his govt in his pocket and that to be able win all manner of contracts in Ghana, $5 million is enough to buy the President.
15. Over 100 Govt member delegation to UN General Assembly in USA in 2017
President Akufo Addo at the last United Nationals General Assembly travelled with over 100 member delegation including family members, party apparatchiks, Chiefs, friends etc, all at the expense of the poor tax payer. Videos of the account showed the entourage in expensive cars.
16. $2.25billion Kenbond scandal A scandal in which the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Attah who sourced a dubious $2.25 billion loan that attracted the angst of the public. The prospectus notice around the bond was more than limited. 95% of the bond ended up been acquired by a company, Templeton whose Director doubles as the Board Chairman of a company which Ken Ofori, his wife Angela and friend Keli Gadzekpo holds majority shares.
17. Non full disclosure of Assets by Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Attah
The Commission on Human Right and Administrative Justice [CHRAJ] has revealed in its report after investigations into the $1.25billion dubious Kenbond that Finance Minister hasnt disclosed interest in some businesses of his, raising Asset non-declaration matters. Ken Ofori Attah’s action contradicts, Prez Akufo Addo’s claim that all appointees have fully declared their Assets.
18. Unprecedented #998 Presidential staffers list A scandal about the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia Government on appointment of #998 Presidential staffers culminating in wanton depletion of the public purse instead of the promise to protect it.
19. $20M mortgage of Ghana to USA (for Military base)
A scandal that the Akufo Addo Government accepted a $20million from the USA to allow the establishment of a military base here in Ghana, an action Ghanaians described as unsafe and a mortgage of the country’s destiny.
20. Collapse of 7 indigenous banks under Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia Government
A scandal in which in less than 2 years in office, the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia government has presided over the collapse of seven indigenous banks. This is contrary to campaign promise that NPP will set up a Financial Stabilization Council to stabilize the struggling financial sector. Clueless Dr Bawumia is unable to help the government avert the situation. Over 15,000 workers have lost their jobs through the collapse of banks and other companies.
21. Appointment of Ex-girlfriends/In-laws/Natives/Ancestors/Friends into Government
The Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia campaign contrary to the promise not to run a family and friends government has made unimaginable appointments including 3 Ex-girlfriends, sons and daughters, in-laws, natives, friends and ancestors i.e.– seeking to name UG after JB Danquah.
22. Gh800,000 Website cost; Gh770,000 Classroom block; etc
Ministry for Special Developments under the Akufo Addo/Bawumia Government quoted a whopping Gh800,000 for a simple website. As part of the ludicrous budget which attracted the scoffing of Ghanaians, a Mechanized borehole that cost Gh60,000 in 2016 now cost Gh132,000, a 6-unit classroom block which cost Gh450,000 now cost Gh770,000.
23. Air ticket fares costing Akufo Addo appointees Gh100,000
According to A Plus, profligacy has taken over the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia Government to the extent that the cost of ticket for a single journey is Gh100,000.
24. Agric Minister's 745,000 phantom jobs Minister for Food and Agriculture, Dr Akoto Afriyie had been mocked by Ghanaians over his 745,000 created jobs claim. They say the jobs are a mere phantom.
25. Another Presidential fleet, aside Osafo Marfo’s request
President Akufo Addo on assumption of office ordered for a new presidential vehicle fleet aside the earlier request made by Osafo Marfo to the outgoing government.
26. Ken Ofori Attah packing key positions with family/friends/acquaintances
The Civil and Local Government Staff Association of Ghana (CLOGSAG) has taken on the Akufo Addo Government, and in particular Minister for Finance Ken Ofori Attah for what it says is incessant dependence on “Special Assistants”; family members, friends, natives, Ex-girlfriends etc. for work. CLOGSAG at a press conference said Ken Ofori Attah has so far employed ‘30 Assistants’ who have taken over the duties of Civil Servants at the Ministry.
27. GCMC - Frances Asiam's stinking deals which attracted the fury of the Board
The CEO of the Cylinder Manufacturing Company, Frances Asiam has side stepped procurement procedures in her management of the company over which the Board met at an Emergency meeting to sack her. The Board rather got dissolved by President Akufo Addo.
28. NHIA - Expose' by the Auditor General The struggling National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) has been cited for wanton financial waste and abuse of procurement processes. Audit work done by the Ghana Audit Service shows that the Authority may be losing close to 23 million Ghana cedis, plus over 3 million dollars, through a duplication of contract activity and unsubstantiated payments. The Authority has also been found to have abused the single source procurement method.
29. MMT CEO on tape saying President Akufo Addo won’t get Gh2m cut from deal
Metro Mass CEO who was caught on tape circumventing procurement processes was also heard saying he would deny President Akufo Addo his Gh2millon cut from the deal.
30. Unprecedented increases in fuel prices from 2017
The Akufo Addo Government contrary to promises to reduce fuel prices has rather ensured continual increase in the price of same, taking it from GH14 per gallon in late 2016 to about Gh22 which is about 63% increase in less than a year and a half.
31. Profligacy scandal; a minimum of 12 luxurious parties thrown by the first family
Contrary to the promise to protect the public purse, the Akufo Addo/Bawumia Government on assumption of office started organizing luxurious parties for themselves and family. By the end of 2017, the first family alone threw about 12 expensive parties.
32. A Cathedral promise which has sealed the lips of the Clergy
The Akufo Addo Government on assumption of office promised the clergy a Cathedral, a promise which has succeeded in sealing the lips of members of the clergy including those who were critical of the previous Government.
33. Australia 2018 Commonwealth Games Visa scandal A Visa scandal that had hit the Akufo Addo Government having a Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, NSA CEO and Board Chair have all in a way been implicated per the report compiled by the Youth and Sports Minister.
34. NIA dubious $1.22b national registration exercise
A scandal that the National Identification Authority [NIA] has entered into a dubious deal to provide ID cards at a cost of $1.2billion, a price 1000% more than the past Government was going to do it.
35. TOR for a tank farm fight between Energy Minister/TOR CEO
The Energy Minister and CEO of Tema Oil Refinery [TOR] have been on each other’s throat over Government’s intention to convert TOR’s tanks to permanent tank farms as against the company’s core mandate.
36. National Security paying for Prez Akufo Addo's private land acquisitions
Following the election of Nana Akufo-Addo as the President and the overnight enrichment, the National Security officials have taken charge of assets acquisition and ejection and eviction of age old squatters in and around Prez Akufo Addo’s private Nima residence, the National Security officials have given the traders and artisans up to March 15 to vacate the area.
37. COCOABOD CEO fight with Board Chair COCOABOD CEO, Joseph Boahen Aidoo and Board Chairman, Hackman Owusu Agymemang have both been at each other’s throat over management matters at the company.
38. NPP’s key officials attempt to undermine Asantehene
A group calling itself the Concerned Youth of Ashanti has strongly accused leading members of the NPP of speaking ill and undermining the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II.
39. Dr Bawumia's $19b China cash that never came (leveraging/loan/partnership)
Vice President Dr Bawumia returned from a China trip and told Ghanaians he had secured $19 billion facility for all manner of developments in Ghana but a dime of the money is yet to arrive.
40. Disorganized Hajj pilgrimage Over 500 Hajj pilgrims stranded at the Tamale Hajj village. It follows the failure of the aircraft that was supposed to airlift them from the Tamale International Airport to Saudi Arabia to show up. Other issues are about visa for pilgrims. The disappointment came just a day after Dr Mahamudu Bawumia promised to ensure Hajj is devoid of all hitches.
41. Hajj Board Chair and Board member fraud scandal
A scandal where a Ghana Hajj Board member, Zakaria Rahman is in hot waters for collecting money from prospective pilgrims who could not travel to Mecca. Four women have reported Rahman to two separate police stations in Accra – Airport and Nima over his inability to acquire Visas and flight tickets for them to travel to Saudi Arabia to observe the Holy pilgrimage.
42. Gov't only verbally equipping the security services
Ghanaians have been asking when the Akufo Addo/Bawumia Govt will honor its promise to equip the security services. Government had announced plans to allocate some GH¢ 800million to the Ghana Police Service to procure helicopters, drones, to fix CCTV cameras in all Police stations across the country in an effort to improve security.
43. Scandalous $1.37 billion AMERI Novation and Amendment deal
The Akufo Addo government has been rocked by a scandal of an attempt to rip off Ghanaians by seeking to inflate the cost of the AMERI plants from $510 million to $1.37 billion.
44. Resignations rocking the Akufo Addo/ Dr Bawumia Government
Former NPP Women Organizer, Otiko Afisa Djaba and Deputy Eastern Regional Minister, Joseph Tetteh have all resigned from the Akufo Addo’s government. Otiko’s resignation is in protest of her new appointment. Joseph Tetteh’s in solidarity with Energy Minister, Boakye Agyaako’s dismissal. Otiko, Tetteh and Agyaako are all Krobos. First Vice Chair, Kwame Baffoe aka Abronye has also announced his resignation from the NPP’s Communication team.
45. Forestry Commission CEO and Ashanti Region NPP Chair involved in galamsey
Some chiefs in the Amansie Central District of the Ashanti Region have said that Forestry Commission CEO, Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie and Ashanti Regional NPP Chair, Bernard Antwi Bosiako are involved in illegal mining in the Apampram Forest Reserve.
46. Ministerial Appointment jumped from #110 to #112
Contrary to expectations that President Akufo Addo will heed the call of Ghanaians to cut down on his Ministerial appointments from #110, he rather increased the number to #112 appointees.
47. Two Thieves of Staff at the [Flag] Bribe Staff House
Two Deputy Chiefs of Staff accused of corruption by A-Plus and tagged as “Thieves of Staff.”
48. A University campus stolen from Afram Plains people to Bunso, near Kyebi
Contrary to original plans to locate in Donkorkrom, Afram, a campus of University of Environment and Development studies, the Akufo Addo/Dr Bawumia Government has diverted the project to Bunso – Akyem, attracting the angst of the people of Afram Plains and Somanya.
49. Gh5million released by Presidency for NPP Cape Coast conference
An enraged NPP Deputy General Secretary, Nana Obiri Boahen caught on tape exposing President Akufo Addo and the Flag Staff House on the poor tax payers Gh5million released for the organization of the NPP’s Delegates Conference in Cape Coast.
50. DKM/God is Love/Jester Motors victims A scandal out of the failure of the Akufo Addo Government to honor promises made to DKM/God is Love/ Jester Motors victims of scam to have their savings refunded.
51. GNPC’s underpricing of Ghana’s crude oil
Crude oil underpricing scandal has hit the government and GNPC. $34million has so far been lost as revenue out of the underpricing. Some have accused government of deliberately doing so to divert the money into private pockets at the expense of critical needs including infrastructure for a struggling free SHS program.
52. Questionable payment by BOST to Springfield A scandal that has hit BOST in 2018 over questionable payment made to Springfield Energy, a company whose debt claims, an independent auditor, Ernst and Young investigated in 2013 and cleared BOST of any indebtedness.
53. Re-introduction of Shift system of Education due to lack of infrastructure and funding
The Government has been hit by a scandal of re-introduction of shift system [cleverly termed double track] into Ghana’s educational system as a result of poor planning - inadequate infrastructure, etc. Inadequate classrooms, dormitories, administration blocks, dining halls etc and inability to absorb the associated school fees forced the government to introduce shift system or semestral system of education instead of the normal 3-terms.
54. Bernard Avle’s question which Prez Akufo Addo and Dr Bawumia failed to answer
It became a topical matter when Bernard Avle’s simple economic related question to President Akufo Addo had to be parried to Dr Bawumia who could not satisfactorily answer raising questions about his economic competence.
55. Free SHS program without policy document/Congestion/Diseases outbreak
The Government was hit by a scandal of proceeding with a fundamental program as free SHS without a policy document which has led to congestion and diseases outbreak.
56. Goats/Cows/Money as bribe for Akufo Addo MMDCEs Appointment
A scandal that the former Northern Regional Chair of the NPP, Bugri Naabu was collecting goats, cows and money from potential MMDCEs from the Northern region. Bugri could not deny but to also hit back, accusing Otiko Afisa Djabah as not being a straight person.
57. The American dollar [$] finally hits Gh5.0 to the chagrin of local importers
The US dollar has hit Gh5.0 contrary to claims by Dr Bawumia that the dollar has been arrested and placed in jail and the key handed over to the Inspector General of Police for safe keeping [effectively indicating the dollar is under control]. Ghanaians are questioning the Vice President’s competence over the development.
58. Scandal over failure to provide 51 factories in 2017
Government’s inability to meet the self-set December 2017, deadline to inaugurate 51 factories under the One District One factory. From all indication the 51 factories would be difficult to deliver in 2018, let alone the 60 planned for inauguration in 2018.
59. Scrapping of teacher trainee allowance At the astonishment of Ghanaians, the NPP that campaigned to restore trainee allowance and won the 2016 elections largely based on it has started taking steps to scrap same trainee allowance starting this 2018/2019 academic year.
60. Appointees’ Girlfriends on Payroll and sexual favors scandal
From some unhappy NPP foot soldiers, a scandal that had hit Akufo Addo/Bawumia government, that some appointees and party executives have their girlfriends on payroll of State Enterprises. Some other NPP ladies also had complained they are denied opportunities by appointees because they refuse to give in to the sexual demands of the appointees.
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."
Reproduction is authorised provided the author's permission is granted.