France recorded 1,243 excess deaths between 3 and 22 July during the second heatwave of the 2026 summer, bringing the provisional number of excess deaths during the extreme heat of the summer to just over 7,300, according to figures published Wednesday by the country's national public health agency, Santé publique France.
The rise in “all-cause” mortality cannot yet be attributed with certainty to the heat, and a final assessment of mortality will be published in October.
The deaths in July come after 5,764 excess deaths were recorded between 17 and 30 June and 300 during the first heatwave of the year from 24 to 28 May.
Almost three quarters of the excess deaths recorded in 2026 “concern people aged 75 and over”, although the increase affected “all age groups from 45 and over”, the health ministry said.
The July heatwave “was less intense but nevertheless quite remarkable for its duration and geographical extent, since 78 departments were affected”, Sébastien Denys, director of health, environment and work at Santé publique France, said at a press briefing.
The affected areas accounted for almost 80 percent of the population of mainland France.
“All-cause” deaths increased in 2026 across all types of locations, including hospitals and elderly care homes. However, Santé publique France said a “fairly notable signal” had been observed among people dying at home.
Denys said some 80 percent of death certificates received during the period indicated people died at home.
France has experienced 52 days of heatwaves since mid-June, a record even though the summer is not yet over.
Twenty years after deadly 2003 heatwave, what has France learned?
Western Europe experienced its hottest start to summer on record, with June and July reaching record levels amid repeated heatwaves, widespread drought and severe wildfires, all exacerbated by climate change.
(with AFP)



'Bow your heads in shame for employing people with huge Facebook followers as pr...
Sammy Gyamfi admitted $1.7bn GoldBod loss but blames other institutions – Afenyo...
‘A loss is a loss’ – Prof Atta Peprah rejects GoldBod’s defence of $1.7billion l...
GoldBod losses is accounting loss manifesting in draft equity position of BoG – ...
Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
AMA bans Aboboyaa from using inner lanes in Accras
AMA refunds driver’s money, sanctions City Guard over alleged extortion
How boys aged 15 to 19 are denied condoms and described as being ‘too young to b...
Stay away from drugs and protect your future — NACOC boss tells youth
“You can’t claim the gains and deny the losses” – Former Suame MCE to Sammy Gyam...