Mike Ocquaye Jr reacts to Adwoa Safo’s reported return to NPP Dome-Kwabenya race

The 2024 New Patriotic Party (NPP) parliamentary candidate for Dome-Kwabenya, Mike Ocquaye Jr, has reacted to reports that former MP Sarah Adwoa Safo is preparing to re-enter the party’s parliamentary contest in the constituency.

Fliers suggesting that the former Dome-Kwabenya MP will contest the NPP parliamentary primaries ahead of the 2028 general elections have surfaced online.

The development has renewed interest in a possible rematch between Adwoa Safo and Ocquaye Jr, who have previously faced each other in the party’s parliamentary primaries.

Adwoa Safo, who represented Dome-Kwabenya in Parliament for three terms, defeated Ocquaye Jr in an earlier NPP parliamentary primary.

However, Ocquaye Jr won the subsequent primary ahead of the 2024 elections, securing the party’s parliamentary slot.

The NPP subsequently lost the Dome-Kwabenya seat in the 2024 general elections.

Speaking on TV3’s KeyPoint programme on Saturday, August 22, Ocquaye Jr said he had not heard directly from Adwoa Safo about her reported return and would therefore wait for her to make her intentions known.

“What we have heard is that she was not running again, so we'll cross that bridge when we get there,” he said.

Ocquaye Jr also suggested that the party could potentially avoid a divisive primary by reaching a consensus on a candidate, depending on how the process unfolds.

He said the party’s internal relations are improving and expressed confidence that any future contest would not affect his commitment to the NPP.

“As to the shivers down my spine, I won't answer to that. But so for now, you keep this at mischief makers who are trying to get mischief. So long as we learn them from our just afore. Yes, what we have done before, we can do again. So there's no problem at all with regard to that,” he said.

   Comments0