Foreign Affairs Ministry urges Tijjaniya pilgrims to Senegal to travel by air over security concerns
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has urged members of the Tijjaniya Muslim Movement of Ghana travelling to Senegal for pilgrimage to reconsider road travel and opt for air transport due to security concerns along some routes leading to Dakar.
The Ministry said Senegal remains safe for travellers but noted concerns over the security situation along certain road corridors leading to the Senegalese capital.
In a travel advisory issued on Friday, August 21, the ministry said the concerns are particularly relevant to travellers undertaking long-distance journeys by road.
“Travellers are urged to take these security considerations into account when planning their journeys,” the Ministry said.
The Ministry described air travel as the “most preferred, safe and secure means of transportation” for prospective pilgrims and other travellers heading to Senegal.
It urged those who had already made arrangements to travel by road to reconsider their plans and opt for air travel instead.
“The Ministry urges the Tijjaniya Muslim pilgrims as well as prospective travellers to adhere to this advisory and prioritise their personal safety and security,” it said.
The Ministry added that it would continue to monitor the situation closely with relevant international partners.
It also reaffirmed its commitment to the welfare, safety and protection of Ghanaian nationals travelling abroad.