British Ex-Soldier's Arrest Over Delta Arms Cache Reopens Questions on Foreign Hands in Niger Delta Instability ‎

A covert raid, a seized arsenal, and a diplomatic disclaimer

On April 25, 2025, operatives of Nigeria's Department of State Services (DSS) moved on a covert exchange near Asaba, the Delta State capital, recovering more than 50 AK-47 rifles, six pump-action shotguns, and over 3,000 rounds of live ammunition.

Associates of the alleged buyer were arrested at the scene. Days later, the man identified by the DSS and multiple Nigerian outlets as the principal suspect, Micah Polo, was intercepted at Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos as he attempted to board a flight to the United Kingdom.

Polo was widely described in early Nigerian press coverage including Vanguard, The Guardian Nigeria, Punch, and TheCable as a "Major" in the British Army. That characterisation did not survive scrutiny.

London's disclaimer, and what it actually said

The British High Commission in Abuja moved quickly to distance the UK government from the suspect. In a statement issued days after the arrest, the Commission said the man was not currently serving in the UK Armed Forces, having previously held only a junior, non-commissioned rank in the Armed Forces Reserves before his discharge. The Commission cited UK data-protection obligations in declining to release further personal details about a former service member.

That clarification effectively deflated the "senior British Army officer" framing that had driven the story's initial virality a correction later reinforced by fact-checkers. Africa Check and Dubawa both found that a widely circulated graphic purporting to show the arrested "officer" was in fact an AI-generated image bearing no resemblance to Polo, who is Nigerian-born.

Civil society presses for a joint investigation

The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) petitioned the British High Commission and Nigerian authorities to pursue a coordinated, transparent probe, warning that arms trafficking tied to political sabotage threatens Nigeria's fragile democratic order. The Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide echoed the call, urging President Bola Tinubu's administration and UK counterparts to jointly investigate and prosecute all parties implicated in the alleged network.

Central to the concern was Polo's reported connection alleged, not judicially established to a prominent Delta State traditional ruler, feeding suspicion that the weapons were meant to inflame long-running tension in the Warri Federal Constituency.

That tension traces to a 2022 Supreme Court–ordered redelineation of wards and polling units in the area, a process that has repeatedly strained local politics. Reports also alleged pressure from within Delta State's political establishment to secure Polo's release, though this too remains unverified beyond Nigerian press accounts.

Unfinished business
That, as it stands, is where the case ends not in a courtroom, but in silence. Since the British High Commission's clarification in late April/early May 2025, no Nigerian or international outlet has reported a formal charge, an arraignment, a bail ruling, a conviction, or a release tied to Micah Polo. HURIWA's petition for a joint UK-Nigeria investigation, the Ijaw Youth Council's demand for prosecution, and the fact-checkers' work debunking the viral misidentification all came and went within roughly a month of the arrest.

After that, the trail goes cold in the public record. No DSS follow-up statement. No court cause list. No further word from the British High Commission on the man it once felt compelled to publicly distance itself from.

That silence is itself worth noting. A raid that recovered over 50 AK-47s and 3,000 rounds of ammunition, implicated an alleged network reaching into a traditional ruler's orbit in a politically tense constituency, and prompted formal calls for cross-border accountability and then nothing. No public resolution one way or the other.

Why it matters
The episode sits inside a wider, uncomfortable pattern this column has tracked: foreign nationals Russian, Turkish, and now British repeatedly surfacing at the edges of West Africa's arms and security economy, whether as alleged traffickers, mercenary recruiters, or opaque state proxies. Whatever Polo's actual military status, the case underscores how thin the line has become between diplomatic reassurance and accountability.

A discharged reservist is not the UK state but an investigation that disappears from public view, without charge, trial, or explanation, tells its own story about how such cases are handled once the news cycle moves on. What happened to the weapons, the network, and the man arrested at Murtala Muhammed Airport remains, more than a year later, unfinished business.

Mustapha Bature Sallama medical Science communicator, Private Investigator, Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Analysis,United States Institute of Peace (USIP), mustysallama@gmail.com +233555275880

References
Vanguard News, "IYC urges prosecution of British army majors involved in arms trafficking in N/Delta," April 2025: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2025/04/iyc-urges-prosecution-of-british-army-majors-involved-in-arms-trafficking-in-n-delta/

TheCable, "Suspect in Delta 'arms smuggling' saga not UK soldier, says British High Commission," April 2025: https://www.thecable.ng/suspect-in-delta-arms-smuggling-saga-not-uk-soldier-says-british-high-commission/

The Guardian Nigeria, "British High Commission denies Delta arms suspect is UK soldier," April 2025: https://guardian.ng/news/british-high-commission-denies-delta-arms-suspect-is-uk-soldier/

Legit.ng, "UK Soldier Arrested Over Alleged Arms Trafficking in Delta, HURIWA Calls for Investigation," April 2025: https://www.legit.ng/nigeria/1652644-huriwa-demands-joint-uk-nigeria-probe-british-officers-alleged-arms-smuggling-delta/

Africa Check, "No, graphic doesn't show British army officer arrested in Nigeria for smuggling arms," May 2025: https://africacheck.org/fact-checks/meta-programme-fact-checks/no-graphic-doesnt-show-british-army-officer-arrested-nigeria

Dubawa, "Wrong image of suspect arrested for arms smuggling in Nigeria," May 2025: https://dubawa.org/wrong-image-of-suspect-arrested-for-arms-smuggling-in-nigeria/

Gazette NGR, "Delta weapon smuggler linked to Olu of Warri not serving member of UK Armed Forces: British High Commission," April 2025: https://gazettengr.com/delta-weapon-smuggler-linked-to-olu-of-warri-not-serving-member-of-uk-armed-forces-british-high-commission/

PRNigeria/Premium Times, "Court Jails Five Terrorism Convicts 25 Years Each Over Arms Supply to Boko Haram," June 2026: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/887103-court-jails-five-men-for-25-years-over-arms-supply-to-suspected-boko-haram-network.html

Tribune Online, "Court remands two over alleged firearms smuggling," August 2026: https://tribuneonlineng.com/court-remands-two-over-alleged-firearms-smuggling/

Author has 1794 publications here on modernghana.com

Disclaimer: "The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect ModernGhana official position. ModernGhana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements in the contributions or columns here."

   Comments0

More From Author