‘I don’t think we need a shoot-to-kill approach to solve galamsey’ — Sukparu

Deputy Minister for Communications Mohammed Adams Sukparu has rejected calls for a “shoot-to-kill” approach to tackling illegal mining, commonly known as galamsey, describing such a strategy as unconstitutional.

He said the fight against illegal mining requires sustained interventions and cannot be resolved within a short period through the use of force.

His comments come amid calls from some analysts for harsher measures, including the use of lethal force against people engaged in illegal mining activities.

Speaking on Accra-based Channel One TV’s Breakfast Daily on Tuesday, August 18, Sukparu said security personnel could not simply shoot people found mining illegally without regard for the law.

“I don’t think that we need shoot-to-kill approach to solve that matter. It is, look, galamsey was not started some few years ago. It is so many years of accumulation of, you know, persons destroying our forest, including the laws we passed in the past,” he said.

The Deputy Communications Minister said the government’s approach should instead focus on sustained enforcement and policy measures to address the longstanding problem.

Sukparu said the government had already taken steps towards addressing illegal mining, including the revocation of Legislative Instrument (L.I.) 2462, which he described as a significant achievement in the fight against galamsey.

He also rejected suggestions that the government had abandoned its campaign promises on illegal mining, noting that the fight was a process requiring sustained effort.

“You cannot take gun to go into the forest or go to a river site. If you see anybody operating, you should start shooting. No, that is not what the Constitution says,” he stressed.

   Comments0