We have not cancelled free SHS nor directed parents to pay GH¢1,500 — GES

Director-General of the Ghana Education Service

The Ghana Education Service (GES) has debunked a social media publication claiming that its Director-General has cancelled the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) policy.

The publication also alleged that parents and guardians had been directed to pay GH¢1,500 for chop boxes and trunks.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, August 18, and signed by Daniel Fenyi, Head of Public Relations at the GES, the service said the claims were false and urged parents, students and the general public to disregard the publication.

“Management has not cancelled the Free SHS policy, nor has the Director-General issued any directive requiring parents or guardians to pay any money for chop boxes, trunks or any other item,” the Service said.

The Service further clarified that the Director-General of the GES does not have the authority to cancel the Free SHS policy.

It therefore urged parents, guardians and students not to make payments to anyone based on the claims circulating on social media.

“Parents, guardians, students and the general public are therefore urged not to make any payments to anyone,” the GES said.

The Service advised the public to rely on official communications issued through its authorised channels for information on Free SHS and other education-related matters.

It also cautioned members of the public and media organisations against creating or circulating false information that could cause unnecessary anxiety and confusion among parents and students.

   Comments1