body-container-line-1

I will declare my assets - Nana Akufo-Addo

By MyJoyOnline
Politics I will declare my assets - Nana Akufo-Addo
OCT 12, 2015 LISTEN

The New Patriotic Party’s presidential candidate Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo says he will follow the footsteps of Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari and declare his assets when voted into power in 2016.

He believes that the declaration of his assets is a vital step in encouraging transparency, adding that he will encourage his ministers and other public office holders to do same.

Speaking on Citi FM’s morning show, Mr Akufo-Addo said, “I think that it is important that those of us who are going to be involved hopefully in the next government, there is clear understanding amongst us of the need for us to make these important gestures so that the public can have confidence in us.”

The Nigerian leader, last month declared he has $150,000 in his personal account, in a move aimed at promoting transparency. The amount showed the ex-military ruler and minister of petroleum had been living a simple lifestyle.

Mr Buhari is the first opposition candidate to win a national election in Nigeria. The former military ruler was elected in March largely on a promise to tackle corruption and insecurity.

Nana Akufo-Addo belives that the NPP will be able to - if voted into power – turn around the misfortunes of Ghana and make things work just like President Buhari.

He said Mr Buhari's show of transparency and commitment to deliver on his promises alone is causing changes in Nigeria. This is something he and his party is willing to emulate, he noted.

"The fear factor of the arrival of Muhammadu Buhari in power has brought the generation of power back on track in Nigeria…where power cuts have become institutionalized in Nigeria, today it’s working. God willing we may be able to produce the same results here in Ghana”, he said.

The former Attorney General indicated that he will also set up an independent office to deal with corruption.

He was however quick to add that it will be difficult to completely uproot corruption from the society, but added that measures must be put in place to ensure that corrupt practices are not encouraged.

Story by Ghana | Myjoyonline.com | Naa Sakwaba Akwa | [email protected]

body-container-line