body-container-line-1
24.12.2013 Politics

Mahama’s trip is cost-saving strategy - Gen. Mosquito

By Citifmonline
Johnson Asiedu NketiaJohnson Asiedu Nketia
24.12.2013 LISTEN

The General Secretary of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia has defended the President's trip to the United Arab Emirates for the Christmas holidays.

Ghanaians have taken to the social media networking sites to criticize the president for taking the trip in the wake of the current economic hardship.

But Mr. Asiedu Nketia in an interview with Citi News dismissed those arguments saying, it is much more economical for the President to travel than stay in the country for the holidays.

The trip he said was necessitated by the unending demands and expectations some individuals make from the President. Therefore, the trip is to curb that practice.

Citing his personal experience as an example, Mr. Asiedu Nketia explained that “if I had anywhere that I can go to be able to get away from the various demands that people troop in to your house…I would have done the same thing.”

He therefore urged the general public not to consider the President's trip as a “spending spree” but think of it as he “going there to avoid spending monies which do not exist anyway.”

According to him, the President also needs “some time to rest and recover. The body he is carrying is fallible; it is a body that can break down.”

body-container-line