WHY GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATION TEAM NEEDS TO BE COLLAPSED
6/11/2012 11:25:35 PM -
We the members of Coalition for Integrity in Governance (COFIIG) are calling on the government to terminate the government communication team with immediate effect for the simple reason that the so-called government communication team, which has usurped the functions of the structural communication team of the party, is woefully ineffective.
The Coalition is of the view that since the government already has the Ministry of Information which gives information about the government to the general public, there is no need of a duplicating communication team belonging to the same government.
The coalition has observed that even when we were not in government the party had strong and effective communication functionaries which led us to win the 2008 general election. What is the need for another government communication team whilst we are in government?
The Coalition has noted the following as the major causes of the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the government communication team:
1. The members of the team are not communicating any message but rather just annoying voters. When they go on radio stations and television stations they talk as if the world belongs to them.
2. Most of them do not have the party at heart. They go on programs to communicate their egos rather than to communicate on behave of the party.
3. They do not respect the constitutional hierarchy of the party and look down on elected national, regional and constituency executives.
4. They are inexperienced. There is a big irreconcilable difference between a talkative and communicator.
5. Since there are no specific requirements for becoming a government communication team member, some people use all sorts of diabolic means, including backbiting, to attract the attention of big men who appoint members into the communication team.
6. There is a huge communication gap between the government and the party. But it is the party which gave birth to the government.
The Coalition believes that their negative actions are causing the following damages to the party.
1. Their actions are losing voters for the party.
2. People are beginning to switch off their TVs and radio sets when the pompous and arrogant young men appear on their set.
3. Even hardcore NDC members are also beginning to get bored and angry when listening to them.
4. They are the ones who have created the persistent antagonism between Former President Rawlings and the current president, Prof. Mills. By going on air to insult the former president and his wife.
5. They are not giving any serious image to the government.
1. The sector ministers and their deputies should take up the mantle of communication on behave of the government.
2. The party communication structure must also move into the front line and starts communicating on behave of the party.
3. Members of the so-called government communication team must go and join the party propaganda unit and learn from there.
4. The propaganda secretaries and their deputies should be the heads of communication teams at all levels as it is enshrined in the party constitution.
5. We are calling on the party executives to bring back the newsletter of NDC so that we the members of the party should at least get some information from the party.
6. We also call on the sector ministers to give any necessary information to the party communication team.
7. We want the inexperienced and ineffective communicators to pave way for those who are willing and capable of communicate to form the communication team.
People are wondering why inexperienced talkative are the ones communicating for the government. The question is, if hardcore NDC members are not excited about listening to them, how can they appeal to floating voters?
We cannot afford to waste time in the abrogation of the government communication team because we have less than six months away from the election.
Director of Research
(0543 746 794)
The minister of information