Nadal Crushes Djokovic…In Monaco
4/23/2012 12:09:10 PM -
Rafael Nadal won his eighth straight Monte Carlo Open, easily beating world number one Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-1.
It was Nadal's 42nd consecutive win in Monaco but only his first victory over the Serbian in eight attempts.
After winning the first set, the Spaniard - who entered the tournament with a troublesome knee http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/17735129 - raced to 4-0 in the second.
Off-key Djokovic broke for the first time to make it 4-1 but Nadal hit straight back before sealing the title.
Nadal took only 78 minutes to see off Djokovic, who suffered the loss of his grandfather on Thursday http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/17775750 and never quite looked himself.
The Serbian managed just one break point throughout, while the world number two converted five of his eight.
Djokovic won his first service game to love but was broken in the third game of the set and struggled to get back into the match.
Nadal, who will be seeking his seventh French Open title in Paris next month, held his service game to love to race to 4-2 before breaking again in the ninth game to take the opening set.
His domination continued throughout the second, leaving Djokovic feeling he had to apologise.
'I'm sorry for my performance, Rafa played well and deserved to win today,' he said.
'I'm still very happy to reach the finals for the second time.
'This is one of my favourite events at the most beautiful centre court in the world.'
The win was Nadal's 47th ATP title and his first since claiming last year's French Open.
He said: 'It's unbelievable to win this historic tournament eight times. I always feel great when I come here.
'I had lost to Novak seven times, so losing eight would not have been much different. But to win this one makes a big difference.'