Fire Kills Two Kids
5/12/2012 3:00:53 PM -
SHOCK HAS struck the Bossman community in Obuasi after two girls of the same parents, Fidos and Suaba Ibrahim, were burnt to death in an early morning fire that gutted their father's private residential house early Wednesday.
Their father, Shaibu Ibrahim, and his wife, together with their one-year-old baby, however escaped death with smoke inhalation and trauma.
The woman has since been admitted to the Obuasi Government Hospital for treatment after neighbours rushed her there.
Yaw Obeng Asubonteng, acting Crime Officer for Obuasi Divisional Police Command, told DAILY GUIDE the incident happened at about 2:30am on Wednesday when the couple and their children were asleep in separate rooms in the house.
According to the police commander, the cause of the fire could not be ascertained, but some residents linked it to intermittent power fluctuation and an electrical fault, while others described it as mysterious.
The entire room of the six-bedroom bungalow that was occupied by the two children was burnt.
DSP Asubonteng said Fidos, 5 years old, died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi, while her younger sister, three-year-old Suaba, died at Bryant Mission Hospital in Obuasi.
The police commander disclosed that all the occupants of the house, except the two children, were relaxing in the room of the couple when the mother noticed that the room occupied by Fidos and Suaba had been enveloped in smoke.
'When she noticed the smoke, she rushed into the room to save her children from being burnt, but the fire prevented her as the ceiling caved in,' the acting Crime Officer said.
He indicated that the bodies of the children had been deposited at their respective hospitals, adding that his outfit had begun investigation to ascertain the facts.
From Ernest Kofi Adu, Obuasi