body-container-line-1
01.09.2003 General News

Legon lecturer jailed 14 days

01.09.2003 LISTEN
By Chronicle

A LECTURER at the University of Ghana, Benjamin Safo Kantanka Wiredu, has been convicted to 14 days imprisonment by an Accra high court, for disobeying the orders of a circuit court, which gave a decision on a divorce writ filed by him.

In addition, Wiredu is to pay a fine of ¢10 million and in default, serve another two weeks imprisonment.

The court, presided over by Justice G.A. Aryittey, further indicated that after serving the sentence, Wiredu should comply with the orders of the circuit court or face the axe of the law again.

The sentence was handed down last Friday, when a contempt of court charge was brought against the lecturer, nearly two years after the circuit court order was issued in September 2001.

Wiredu, however, showed no remorse in his affidavit for not complying with the court orders.

According to the court, his behaviour puts the justice system into disrepute.

Before sentence was passed on the lecturer, he began showing signs of remorse.

“My Lord, I did not know that things would turn out this way, I am sorry,” Wiredu told the court.

Wiredu, who lives on a salary of ¢1.5million a month, was directed by an Accra circuit court about 1one and a half years ago to pay ¢400,000 as maintenance fee, provide accommodation, bedding and furniture for his baby, then one and half years old and his estranged wife.

Wiredu was to return the baby in his custody to the mother since it is not in accordance with the law.

However, the lecturer refused to comply with the orders. He was then cited for contempt of court.

The court indicated that the salary of ¢1.5million is no excuse for non-payment of maintenance fees to be paid, when Wiredu noted in his affidavit that his salary is not enough to satisfy the circuit court orders.

body-container-line