Sunda International Congratulates Ghana Rugby Women's Eagles
ACCRA, Ghana, October 16, 2019,/ - The Ghana Rugby Women’s Sevens National Team, the Ghana Eagles, visited Sunda International to attend an event where the long-time sponsor of Ghana congratulated the team and awarded them with winners’ parcels.
The Women’s Eagles returned from Tunisia on Monday after participating in the Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Tournament in Monastir. Despite being its first-ever appearance at an international event the Ghana Rugby Women’s team managed to win the Challenge Trophy by beating Zambia by 21 points to 14.
Sunda International, a Chinese global company with operations in Ghana, has been supporters of Ghana Rugby for the past three years and have made regular contributions in both cash and in-kind to the development of rugby in Ghana.
According to the President of Ghana Rugby, Mr. Herbert Mensah, the many achievements of Ghana Rugby in just a few years would not have been possible without the support of corporate institutions such as Sunda International.
“We have been fortunate to gain the support of Sunda International and other corporates such as the Panafrican Equipment Group, Komatsu, Interplast, the Gino brands and Societe Generale Ghana since my administration took over rugby in June 2014. Without their support, we would never have been able to compete in international competitions and achieve the successes we have had,” Mensah said.
According to Mensah, Ghana Rugby is a young yet dynamic full member of World Rugby and Rugby Africa that managed to achieve the following in fewer than five years:
- Established first-ever 10-team Club Championship since 2004
- Became Full Members of World Rugby on 10 May 2017
- Hosted and won two Rugby Africa Men's 15s Tournaments in 2017 (Rugby Challenge) and in 2018 (Rugby Africa Bronze Cup with promotion to the 2019 Silver Cup).
- Entered the Rugby Africa Men's Sevens for the first time in 2017 (Kampala-Uganda) and managed to play off for the Bronze Cup in 2018 (Monastir-Tunisia).
- Established Audited Financial Statements, probably one of very few Unions in Africa that can boast of that
- Implemented a comprehensive Rugby Management Online System (scrumIT) where all player registrations for both junior and senior teams as well as tournaments are managed online by Clubs
- Qualified to play in the 2019 Rugby Africa Sevens Tournaments that serve as Japan 2020 Olympic Qualifiers
- Won the Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Trophy Challenge in 2019 in Monastir-Tunisia.
Ghana Rugby will be taking part in two more international tournaments in 2019 that include the Rugby Africa Men’s Sevens Tournament on 8 and 9 November 2019 in South Africa as well as the hosting of the elimination match in Ghana against Botswana on 23 November in Elmina-Ghana.
About Ghana Rugby
Ghana Rugby is the official full member of both World Rugby (2017) and Rugby Africa in Ghana-West Africa and is responsible for the management and development of the Game Rugby Union in the country. The Union is governed by a Constitution and administers five KPAs (Key Performance Areas) namely: (1) Youth Development & Growth through the World Rugby “Get Into Rugby” Programme, (2) Women in Ghana Rugby, (3) Training & Education, (4) Domestic Competitions and (5) International Performance.