ModernGhana logo
28.01.2005 Football News

Kotoko to refund 50 million to GHALCA

Listen to article

Accra, Jan 28, GNA - The Ghana League Clubs Association, (GHALCA) organizers of the Coca Cola Top Four Tournament has asked Kumasi Asante Kotoko to refund the 50 million cedis they received as participation fee.

The amount forms part of the first instalment of the 250 million-participation fee that was received by all the four competing clubs.

Kotoko who on Friday announced their withdrawal from the six-week championship, are also to return the two sets of 20 pieces of jerseys, pants and hose received in connection with the tournament.

This request is contained in GHALCA's reply to Kotoko upon receipt of the Club's three-page withdrawal letter that cited dissatisfaction about the association's Disciplinary Committee's decision to declare them losers in their match against Kpando Heart of Lions that was played at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in Accra last Sunday.

Real Tamale United (RTU) has meanwhile replaced the defending league champions having placed third in Zone B of the last novelty Zonal League.

The statement signed by Mr Kudjoe Fianoo, Administrative Manager of GHALCA copied to GNA Sports said the Association would also withhold the Club's share of game's gate proceeds as part settlement of the cost of the damage caused to the over 300 chairs destroyed by some irate fans during the match last Sunday.

It said the organizers would in due time forward the rest of the bill to the "Porcupine Warriors" for settlement.

Kotoko on Thursday pulled out of the competition in a three-page communiqu=E9 signed by Major Yaw Larson, Chief Executive Officer of the club.

Though Kotoko reckoned the obvious disappointment that might come with their withdrawal, the Club said it was of the view that "no useful purpose shall be served if the team continued in the current edition with the level of dissatisfaction that we bear".

The Committee, after its Wednesday's sitting declared Lions winners of the match in accordance with Article 35(a) and (b) of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) regulations, which were adopted by the organizers for the six-week fiesta.

It would be recalled that angry officials of Kotoko led by Mr Jerry Asare on Sunday matched off their players from the field of play with only three minutes of play left in protest against a penalty decision against them.

This was when FIFA Referee, Joseph. O. Lamptey had pointed to the spot after Issah Ahmed had brought down Lions' Sadat Bukari in the box in the 87th minute.

Lions opened the scores in the 46th minute when Bukari applied his head to a lob from the right flank but Kotoko fetched the equaliser through Osei Kwame in the 73rd minute before the incident that caused the abrupt end of the game.

Join our Newsletter