ModernGhana logo
10.01.2005 Football News

Over 20 casualties reported in Kumasi

Listen to article

Accra, Jan. 10, GNA - The historic second leg final game of the Confederation Cup Competition between Kumasi Asante Kotoko and Accra Hearts of Oak witnessed over 20 casualties as soccer fans largely believed to belong to Kotoko fainted during and after the match as result of the home team's failure to win the trophy.

A monitoring conducted by the GNA Sports during and after the match in Kumasi on Sunday revealed that over twenty supporters collapsed during the match which the Phobians won 8 - 7 on penalties.

Though a few people collapsed even before kick off, the unpleasant scene got to the fever pitch when Hearts pulled even on the 80th minute mark through Lawrence Adjah Tetteh.

Dr. Opoku Buabeng, Head of the Red Cross team at the Stadium attributed the casualties to tension, over anxiety and shock when the fans suffered from shock. It is obvious that they could not stand the shock of watching their darling club waver yet again", he said. The Red Cross officials who administered drips to most of the victims were kept busy all afternoon as they carried motionless bodies on stretchers for first aid and treatment.

Dr Buabeng also added that some fans believed to belong to Hearts also collapsed due to being over-joy following the equaliser secured by their team in the latter stages of the game.

About four of the victims whose cases were described as extreme were referred to the Okomfo Anokye Teaching Hospital whilst the rest were treated and discharged after some few hours.

The two most glamorous clubs in the country appeared in the historic final of the maiden competition when they topped their respective groups at the league stages.

The two leg final matches, originally scheduled in November and December last year had to be postponed due to security reasons. Kotoko in the first leg defied all odds and managed to secure a one all drawn game at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in Accra.

Hearts won 8-7 on penalties after regulation time of the match ended one all.

Join our Newsletter