ModernGhana logo
10.11.2004 Sports News

Olympics Keep On Winning

Listen to article

Great Olympics produced a last gasped performance, scoring twice in the last three minutes to clinch a 3-1 victory over Sekondi Hasaacas in their match at the Accra Sports Stadium.

But the Olympics technical handlers were lucky to have won the game else they would have incurred the displeasure of their fans for a 75th minute incident.

First choice goalkeeper Joe Harm injured his right foot from an aerial tussle and even after he had been attendant to, indicated to his handlers that he could not continue.

Apparently confused of what to do, because the Dade boys had exhausted their substitution, the limping goalie was kept in the post for the rest of the period.

Smart Hasmal, capitalized on the situation to cancel a 28th-minute opener scored from the spot by workaholic Paa Joe Kumah.

Hasmal's Atta Yawson produced a clever carpet shot from a free kick just outside the penalty area to the injured right side of the limping goalkeeper which caught him flat footed in the 82nd minute. The goal seemed to have galvanized the visitors for more until their fighting spirit was dampened with defender Richard Ladzekpo's own goal from a harmless shot which displaced goalkeeper Mohammed Kasola in the 88th minute.

Kumah took his personal tally of the day to two and three for Olympics when he banged in a perfect striker's goal from an acute angle on the stroke of full time. Olympics are sixth on the Zone "B" standings with 14 points, a point less than Hasaacas.

Okwawu Hold Kotoko

At Cape Coast, a 47th minute goal scored by Imbola Sandjie enabled Kumasi Asante Kotoko to draw 1-1 with Okwawu United in their Premier League match at the Cape Coast Sports stadium on Wednesday. Kotoko who started the match as if there was nothing at stake went down in the 36th minute when midfielder Nashiru Gyani scored the opener in the 36th minute.

Inspired by the goal, Okwahu continued to pile pressure on Kotoko and nearly increased the tally to 2-0 but goalkeeper Louis Quainoo who did a yeoman's job in Kotoko's post foiled the attempt.

Seeing the going very tough, Kotoko brought on Sandjie for Frank Osei while Dan Acquah replaced injured Yao Sarpong in the second half. The changes enabled Kotoko to dictate the pace of the game and it came as no surprise when substitute Sanjie after collecting a pass raced with the ball to score the much-needed equaliser in the 47th minute.

Join our Newsletter