Techiman City, Wa African United demoted, CEO's banned for six months
The GFA Ethics Committee has found Techiman City FC and Wa African United guilty of bribery and match fixing after investigations into their Match day 22 game played at the Damongo Park.
1. DCOP KOFI BOAKYE - VICE-CHAIRMAN
2. PROF. GEORGE ARMAH - MEMBER
3. ALHAJI ISHAK ALHASSAN - MEMBER
4. MR. ADDAI KYEREMEH - MEMBER
5. MS HANNAH O. AMAKYE - SECRETARY
From the Committee's investigation into the matter, the following findings were made.
1. It was established that there was communication between Nana Kwabena Gyamerah Yiakwan II, CEO of Wa African United FC and Mr. Charles Kwadwo Ntim a.k.a. Micky Charles, President of Techiman City FC, prior to the match. However Nana Kwabena Gyamerah Yiakwan II and Mr. Charles Kwadwo Ntim gave conflicting details as to what they discussed.
2. It was further observed that there was exchange of money between an alleged agent of Techiman City FC by name Yaw Adamu Acheampong alias “Medimafo tease” and the Coach and Team Manager of Wa African United FC.
3. However, it was observed that the alleged agent, Yaw Adamu Acheampong, who was said to be the Team Manager of Techiman City was indeed not the Team Manager of the Club and the President of Techiman City FC vehemently denied knowing anybody by that name.
4. It was revealed that the name Yaw Adamu Acheampong appeared on the Referee's report as well as the Team Sheet presented and signed by the Team Manager and Captain of Techiman City FC.
5. The Committee is of the belief that the said match between the two teams was played very competitively and this was admitted by Nana Kwabena Gyamerah Yiakwan, Coach and Team Manager of Wa African United in their various statements to the Committee. The fact still however remains that monies exchanged hands prior to the match in order to influence it.
6. The allegation of the match fixing and bribery made by the CEO of Wa African Utd F.C and substantiated by coach and the Team Manager of his club has been proven.
7. Although the allegation of bribery was disclosed by the CEO of Wa African United, he did it because he was aggrieved by the decision of the Disciplinary Committee which led to points being deducted from his club regardless of the fact that both teams had a mutual understanding of playing a match of convenience which was preceded by money changing hands.
8. Although the President of Techiman City FC vehemently denied knowing Yaw Adamu Acheampong who allegedly paid the bribe money of GH¢2,000 to the Coach and Team Manager of Wa African Utd FC, the referee's report presented to the Disciplinary Committee, has Adamu Acheampong as one of the officials of the club. In addition to this, the hand written team sheet submitted by the counsel of Wa African Utd also has the name Yaw Adamu Acheampong as the Masseur. This team sheet has the name and signature of the Team Manager and captain of Techiman City. All these point to the fact that Yaw Adamu Acheampong is either an official of the Team or an Agent purposely used for the bribery and Match Fixing operation.
9. The Committee did not find the President of Techiman City F.C a very credible witness. He was very evasive in his answers.
10. From the foregoing it can be concluded that although the match seemed to have been played in a competitive spirit there was an initial bribery to influence the outcome of the match.
Allegations of bribery and match-fixing have become so prevalent in our football matches and the time has come for all and sundry to assist in removing this negative notion. Therefore any punishment should be deterrent enough to other teams and officials.
In this instance the 2 teams are found guilty of bribery ostensibly to fix a match.
In accordance with Article 68 (2) of GFA Regulations, the Ethics Committee finds this as a serious offense and therefore decides as follows:
1. The two teams engaged in the bribery and Match Fixing i.e. WA Africa United and Techiman City F.C are demoted to the next division. The Chief Executive Officers of both Teams have been suspended for six (6) months in all football related activities.
2. The Team Manager (Kofi Adams) and Coach (Yaw Baah Suleman) all of Wa African Utd FC and Yaw Adamu Acheampong are banned for one year from all football related activities.
3. Wa African Utd FC should also refund the GH¢2,000.00 to the Ghana Football Association for the development of Juvenile football.