18.09.2004 Sports News

Liberty drown Feyenoord

Listen to article

Accra, Sept 18, GNA - Dansoma-based Liberty Professionals on Saturday drowned Premier League's debutantes, Fetteh Feyenoord with a 4-0 drubbing when the two locked horns at the Accra Sports Stadium. The defeat marking the heaviest of the Gomoa Fetteh lads in the four-week old premiership saw Liberty striking thrice in the first half and adding one in the second half to seal the doom of the visitors who had a terrible afternoon.

Though the Dansoman lads were no extraordinary side, they managed to utilise their chances in the scrappy game that saw Feyenoord renewing the doubts of the connoisseurs of the game, with regards to whether they are ripe for the sixteen-team league. The lack of creativity, flair and competitiveness that characterized the low tempo game, gave enough credence to the level of harm the long lay off of the league had done to the premiership. It was however Liberty's Obeng Darko who defied the disturbing signals to shoot his side into the lead on the 13th minute mark when he cleverly connected a cross from Michael Helegbe. The later tore the visitors back-line which coach Atto Hamound described as a let down in a post match interview into shreds before setting up Darko to easily displace goalkeeper Philemon Macarty for the first goal.

The reaction of the visitors was swift as they managed to break loose with slippery Borketey Bortey sneaking past his markers only to shot wide to the dismay of the sparse crowd at the nation's Wembley. Feyenoord were yet again presented with another good opportunity but Bortey's final delivery could only bring the best in Liberty's goalie, Patrick Antwi when he over-stretched his elastic limit to make a timely save to keep the score line unchanged. Liberty regrouped well and tilted the pendulum of action in their favour and from then on the Sly Tetteh lads tormented the defence of their vulnerable guests pivoted around Michael Akuffu, George Tutu and Sheriff Anerfi. In one of their numerous onslaughts, Anerfi was careless in tidying up the rear when he whacked his opponent just behind the 18 yard box which eventually earned him the yellow card. Michael Helegbe who is gradually emerging as a good free kick expert did a perfect job with a curling ball which zoomed into the yawning net for the second goal on the 21st minute mark with both the defence and keeper Macarty watching helplessly.

The heat on the debutants became unbearable and Anerfi was unlucky to have messed himself up with a scrappy defending at the glaring eyes of referee Joseph Lamptey which saw his subsequent expulsion for a second bookable offence. Liberty from then took full control of the game ensuring that their third goal scored by Kwabena Nkana on the stroke of the first half was no surprise. The pattern of the game in the second half was no different with Feyenoord failing to create any meaningful and clear-cut chances even though they played tactically and eye pleasing game that failed to bring them any goal. At a time the Liberty attack seemed content with the goal feast, hard working defender, Stanley Afedzie came from nowhere to deliver a long drive from a set up from the middle which beat keeper Macarty for his sides fourth goal to seal the doom of the visitors.

ModernGhana Links