ModernGhana logo
19.08.2004 Football News

RTU beat Liberty 2-0

Listen to article

Tamale, Aug 19, GNA - Real Tamale United brought back the smiles to football loving people of the Tamale Metropolis when they beat Dansoman-based Liberty Professionals by two goals to nil in the Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) special Novelty League match at the Tamale Kaladan Sports Stadium on Thursday.

This was RTU's first match to be played in Tamale after the lifting of the State of Emergency last week in the Tamale Metropolis and the Yendi District.

Bolgatanga had been the home base of RTU for the past two years when the State of Emergency was imposed following communal violence that led to the death of the Paramount Chief of Dagbon, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II.

The beauty of the game was that it brought together many supporters from both the Abudu and Andani factions to cheer up RTU for the deserved victory.

The match started in a fast note with both teams determined to carry the day, but it was RTU who were favoured by the weather as well as the patched grounds and with the teaming supporters urging them on, they pinned Coach Silas Tetteh's Boys to their half with accurate and short passes to the admiration of the home crowd.

The many goal-scoring chances that were created by the RTU attackers were however blown away due to erratic shooting at goal.

Their efforts later yielded the needed dividends when in a goalmouth encounter, RTU's danger man, Alhassan Weah who was in a good position to shoot at goal was brought down in the box in the 41st minute by a Liberty attacker.

The referee who was near the incident rightly whistled for a penalty, which was expertly converted by Weah to register RTU"s first goal.

The first half ended one goal in favour of RTU.

Back from recess, RTU raised the tempo of the game and in the 65th minute, a cross from the left flank was beautifully connected by outside left, Joseph Adjei to give RTU a two goal comfortable lead.

The Liberty boys showed visible sign of tiredness and from then on the RTU attackers kept their goal area boiling, but try as they did, Liberty managed to defend solidly and contain the pressure till the referee brought the day's proceedings to an end.

Join our Newsletter