MP calls for probe into renovation of Ho DCE's bungalow
Accra, July 9, GNA - Mr Francis Agbotse, NDC-Ho West, on Friday called for a Parliamentary Committee of enquiry into the renovation of the Ho District Chief Executive's bungalow that cost nearly 400 million cedis.
He argued that the renovation of the bungalow, which had been used by functionaries of the previous government, was estimated at a figure not more than 200 million cedis, adding that there was the need to justify the increase of close to twice the initial estimate.
"We are calling for the constitution of a Parliamentary Committee of Enquiry into the circumstances leading to the inflation of the cost of the project," Mr Agbotse told a cross-section of the Parliamentary Press Corps.
Mr Agbotse, who is also the Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Subsidiary Legislation, made the call after the Volta Regional Minister, Mr. Akwasi Yeboah, had given answers to questions by Mr Agbotse.
Mr Abotse wanted to know the total cost of the renovation of the DCE's bungalow and whether the project was put on tender.
Replying, Mr Yeboah said the bungalow was occupied by Mr Kofi Attoh, as Chairman of Volta Regional Chairman of the defunct Association of Committee for the Defence of the Revolution (ACDR) and some of its members, adding, "they left the bungalow in a very bad state of disrepair"
He said at the commencement of work on the bungalow, an initial sum of 284.8 million cedis was used for major rehabilitation works, which included the construction of a master bedroom with toilet and bathroom, a dining hall a kitchen and store.
Mr Yeboah said there was a lot of work to be done at the site and that accounted for an increase in the cost of the renovation to 389,064,254.08 cedis.