ModernGhana logo
21.03.2004 Football News

Kotoko Opponents In Accident

By Rebecca Osei-Edwards, Kyebi
Listen to article

The scheduled friendly international match between Asante Kotoko of Ghana and visiting Togolese team, Etoile Filante, was called off yesterday following an accident which occurred last Saturday evening.

The accident involved a Mercedes Benz bus with registration number GT 4306 R on which the Togolese team was travelling to Kumasi and an articulated truck at Osino near Anyinam in the Eastern Region.

No deaths were recorded but two of the players, goalkeeper Avosseh Agbessi and a defender, Cheche Napo, who were in critical condition were rushed in an ambulance yesterday to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), Kumasi, after initial treatment at the Kyebi and Tafo government hospitals.

This was after the Chief Executive of Asante Kotoko, Major Yaw Larson (retd), the Public Relations Officer, Mr Kwame Owusu Ansah and some officials of Asante Kotoko had visited the victims at the Kyebi Hospital.

The Medical Officer in charge of the Kyebi Hospital, Dr Isaac Osabutey, gave the assurance that the rest of the players were in stable condition and responding to treatment.

Briefing the Graphic in a telephone interview, Mr Owusu Ansah said the team, currently the league leaders in Togo, comprised 20 players and seven officials, including a referee .

According to him, the accident occurred at about 5 p.m. at the outskirts of Osino when the driver of the articulated truck with registration number GT2769 A, in an attempt to avoid a head-on collision after a wrong overtaking, hit the driver's side of the Benz bus, which resulted in the vehicle smashing into the railings along the road.

He said the driver consequently lost control and the bus skidded into a valley. The players were immediately rushed to the Kyebi and Tafo government hospitals for treatment. He said Kotoko officials immediately mobilised and rushed to the two hospitals to assess the condition of the Togolese players when they heard about ther accident.

Consequently, he said, the match had to be called off in view of the injuries, adding that those without serious injuries would be transported to Togo, while those in critical condition would continue to receive treatment at the KATH until they were fit to travel back home.

Join our Newsletter