ModernGhana logo
10.06.2009 Football News

Olympics Shock Power FC

By Andrew Nortey -
Listen to article

A superb second half performance from a rejuvenated Accra Great Olympics side earned them the three maximum points following their 2-1 win in their division one league encounter over Power FC on Sunday at the El-Wak Sports Stadium.

Having stunned the Power lads 1-0 at Koforidua in the first round, expectation among the two sides was high with each harbouring diverse intentions.

But at the end of regulation time, the wonder club prevailed over the electricity lads with Olympics super substitute, Akwei Polo emerging the hero of the day as his two second half strikes cancelled Power FC's lead secured in the first half through enterprising George Ohenebeng.

Coach Dauda Lutterodt of Olympics expressed his joy over the win, describing it as a reward for hard work.

He said it was a difficult one especially when they were forced into a tight corner and had to fight back to win the three points.

For him, it was a clear indication that the once third force of Ghana football is ready to take its rightful place in the premiership and hoped the players sustain the fighting spirit to qualify for the final round of qualifiers.

Watched by a sparse crowd, Olympics enjoyed greater dominance with several surging runs into the Power territory but had nothing to show for that effort as Bilal Mahammed, Isaac Bortey Borketey and Kwesi Bonsu failed to unlock the Power defence built around Aker Thomas, Samuel Ayisi and Ben Mantey.

Rather, it was the Power FC men who found the back of Olympics, net through Ohenebeng who rounded his marker to slot home the opener.

The goal stunned the Olympics supporters who became silent for a moment.

Power cruised on with the advantage and came close on several occasions but found the Olympics goalie, Ben Mensah too tall a hurdle to scale.

The game became balanced in the last five minutes but each failed to find the net again to end the half.

Under pressure to maintain their position on the top, coach Dauda Lutterodt of Olympics shuffled his attack in the early minutes of the half, bringing on Eric Adjei and Akwei Polo for Michael Aklotsoe and veteran Kwesi Bonsu and that marked their turning point.

Eight minutes later, Polo fetched the equaliser with an excellent tap which beat Power FC goalkeeper, Francis Arthur.

A move initiated by Sulley Nuru found Ibrahim Fuseini who broke loose on the right and delivered a tailor-measured grounder on the path of Polo who ghosted past his marker to slot home for a deserved equaliser.

Gingered by the goal, the blue and white shirted Olympics men charged at their opponents who appeared fatigued, using the left and right flanks to open the Power defense but their attackers failed to connect.

In one of those forays, Polo gave Olympics the winner when he headed home a cross from the right which beat the Power goalie to send their followers into wild jubilations.

The game then became a ding-dong affair with Olympics having the upper hand but none was able to score again until proceeding was brought to an end.

Join our Newsletter