Government re-imposes curfew on Bawku
The government on Tuesday re-imposed the curfew in the Bawku area amid calls by some Members of Parliament for a permanent standby military presence in the town and its environs to avert further conflict.
The members' call follows reports of dead bodies being found each day in some areas despite the deployment of security personnel.
Mr Mahama Ayariga, (NDC Bawku Central) told Parliament that the situation in the area was still very tense, following the conflict, which broke out between Kusasi and Mamprusi ethnic groups on December 31, leading to the imposition of the curfew.
“The security agencies should be vigilant in the next few days,” Mr Ayariga said, warning of possibilities of renewed clashes.
He said what made the situation worse was the fact that there were reports that the rival parties were threatening each other “not to make the mistake of crossing into the each others neighbourhood or territory”.
Mr Dominic Azumah, (NDC-Garu/Tempane) had asked that the Ministry of Defence and Interior, should deploy a permanent standby military team or post at Bawku to quickly move in to avert any potential conflict.
He said reconciliation among all stakeholders with the involvement of religious and political leaders be pursued to remove suspicion and fear.
In a statement on the floor of the House, the Interior Minister, Mr Kwamina Bartels, said the curfew had been re-imposed and would cover between 2000 hours and 0500 hours.
He said information available to his office indicated that there were 10 deaths while 104 houses and stores had been burnt.
Mr Bartels said two new but unconfirmed deaths had also been reported and that 22 people had been arrested in connection with the violence.
Mr John Ndebugre, (PNC-Zebilla) said a military presence was not the solution, adding that dead bodies were still being found almost on a daily basis despite the presence of security personnel.
Rather, there was urgent need to promote reconciliation between the feuding parties, he suggested.