Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

15.04.2007 General News

Patients reject stinking 'armed robber'

By myjoyonline

There was drama at the Sefwi Wiawso Government Hospital when patients on admission had information that a 39-year-old armed robber with rotten feet was being brought to the ward.

The news which spread in no time emboldened the patients to say no to the hospital authorities, contending that the bad odour emanating from the decaying feet would worsen their condition.

The hospital staff had no choice but to relocate the patient to an isolated ward at the hospital.

Earlier, medical doctors who had recommended the amputation of both feet, could not carry out the surgery because of the unavailability of facilities and equipment.

According to a police source, the 39-year-old suspected armed robber, Yaw Kwasi, sustained gunshot wounds and his condition deteriorated to the point where the wounds on his legs became infested with maggots. It is believed that he was involved in armed robbery along the Ghana-Cote d'Ivoire border.

The robber is said to have gone on robbery together with others at Man¬zanso, a town in Cote d'Ivoire, where there was an exchange of gunfire with some people in the town resulting in his injury.

The police source told The Mirror that on March 26, 2OO7, the people of Manzanao had a hint that about four men in masks and wielding guns had stormed the town apparently to rob people of their valuables.

The youth quickly mobilised themselves and engaged the robbers in a fierce gun battle resulting in injury to two of the youth.

Yaw Kwasi, according to the source, was among the robbers and he sustained gunshot wounds on both legs. He however managed to escape.
On March 29, some children from Pillar 35, near Kaase, in the Bia District who went to the forest in search of snails, saw Yaw lying in the forest with an AK 47 rifle beside him.

The children rushed home to break the news to their parents who organised themselves and went into the forest.
On arrival, they saw three gunmen surrounding their wounded colleague.

The townsmen opened fire and killed one of them, Kofi Jami. The rest fled leaving Yaw behind. Yaw had then already spent about five days in the bush and both legs were in a state of decomposition.
The Kaase police, who could not bear the odour, rushed him to the district police headquarters at Sefwi Wiawso.

Curious people who thronged the police station to catch a glimpse of the suspect, could not get near as the bad odour pervaded the entire police station.

According to the Asawinso District Police Commander, Superintendent Tagoe, eight spent cartridges were found on the suspect. Supt Tagoe said the suspect could have caused a lot more harm had he not run out of bullets.

He expressed concern about the recent upsurge of armed robbery along the Ghana-Cote d'Ivoire border especially in towns such as Osei Kwadjo Krom, Kaase, Yaw Matwa, Debeso and Essam.

He stated that the survival of the suspect was important to them, since he could assist the police with vital information that could lead to the arrest of the accomplices.

Credit: The Mirror