ModernGhana logo
07.08.2005 League Report

Bofoakwa Beat AshGold

Listen to article

Tano Boafoakwa defeated visiting Obuasi AshantiGold 2-1 in their second round encounter of the GT Premier League match at the Sunyani Coronation Park on Sunday.

Half time score was 1-0 in favour of Bofoakwa.

The victory has thus enabled Bofoakwa to avenge the first round defeat of the 'Miners'.

The home side who regarded the match as the beginning of their fate in the League made sure of victory to avoid relegation as they played to a determined game right from the commencement of the game after Tarkwa-based Referee T.R.K. Attifu's signalled the tow sides into action.

Bofoakwa nearly came with the opener under a minute but Ashgold's hard-pressed strong defender Joe Hendrix had to "hire a lawyer" as he flipped the ball towards goalkeeper George Owu before an attacker of Bofoakwa could close in to cause a scare.

AshGold also had their moment of glory in the early exchanges but Emmanuel Osei Kuffour shot over the bar after capitalizing on an over-elaboration of a Bofoakwa's defender just outside the "18" yard box.

Both sides continued to miss begging chances till when in the 39th minute, Yaw Antwi scored the opening goal in the 39th minute. The goal received spontaneous cheers from the home fans as well as even supporters and officials of AshGold as it was viewed as one of the neatest goal to have been scored at the Coronation Park since this year's League begun.

Antwi after receiving a pass began his clever move by beaten two defenders of AshGold and beata third defender before beating keeper Owu for the goal.

The Brong-Ahafo Regional Minister, Nana Kwadwo Seinti was around to applaud the efforts of the striker for his solo effort.

The attacking force of AshGold made up Opoku Agyemang, Kofi Deblah, Lamine Nasir and Mohammed Adamu threw everything into attack from thence but Bofoakwa's Paul Donkor, Abeiku Aikins, R. Korle and Stephen Offei were solid at the rear to hold them at bay till the end of the first half.

On resumption of the second half, Osei Kuffour finished off a perfect move from a free kick taken by Captain Ofosu Amoah to pull even for his side in the 54th minute.

With the scores at par, play from then became a ding-dong affair as both sides refused to bulge and in the 70th minute, Referee Attifu had to bring the game to a halt as the number two assistant refereee was being heckled by some aggrieved supporters of the home team who claimed the linesman was not being fair to their Club.

Sanity however prevailed five minutes later and when play resumed after the full time the referee added four minutes of added on time and it was during the injury time that Osei Boateng connected home a pass from a free kick for the winning goal for his side in the 92nd minute. AshGold tried all they could for the equaliser but unfortunately time was not on their side as Referee Attifu whistled for the end of proceedings for the Bofoakwa players and supporters to rush unto the field in celebration of what a supporter told the GNA Sport as "a sweet victory".

Join our Newsletter