ModernGhana logo
14.07.1980 League Report

Hearts Lose to Hasaacas

By Daily Graphic
Listen to article

Accra Hearts of Oak suffered second defeat in a row when they lost 0-1 to Sekondi Hasaacas in their outstanding match played at the Gyandu Park in Sekondi yesterday. The winning goal came eight minutes to time through a disputed penalty kick. On the whole both teams played below form as they were guilty of faulty passes.

Hearts kicked off brilliantly and made an early incursion but could not score as the defence of Hasaacas held them in check. In the eleven minute the visitors had a corner kick and nearly took the lead but skipper Kuuku Dadzie scooped the ball from the goal line.

Play from then on became balanced as both teams played a cautious game till the end of this session.

On resumption, Hasaacas made a change. Ben Sey came in for Sly Tetteh and this gingered the game for a brief spell.

Just as it looked like the match was going to end in a goalless draw, Hasaacas left winger Cooke pounced on a loose ball, raced it menancingly towards goal but Bashiru Gambo intercepted for a corner kick in the 79th minute.

The resultant kick ended in a spot kick when a Hearts defender handled the ball in the goal mouth scramble.

Referee William Mensah of Kumasi did not hesitate to award a penalty despite the fact that Hearts skipper Hammond and Anas Seidu protested vehemently.

Kuuku Dadzie converted the kick to give Hasaacas the winning goal in the 82nd minute.

Hearts staged a last minute onslaught but could not penetrate the defence of the homesters.

Line-up: Edward Ansah—Ofei Ansah—Basiru Gambo—Nii Noi Thompson—Justice Moore—Adolf Armah—Robert Hammond—Razak Gebrine—Dan Kayede—Anas Seidu—Douglas Tagoe.


Hearts vs Dumas: 2-2

Defending champions Accra Hearts of Oak had to struggle hard before splitting the two points with Dumas Boys in a 2-2 draw league match at the Tema Sports Stadium. Duma Boys dominated the game in the first half, taking the lead through right winger Willie Klutse in the 25th minute when he shot from close range after inside-left Emmanuel Eshun had wasted a good chance to score in the eight minute. Klutse nearly made it 2-0 four minutes later but his well-timed shot from 25 metres was parried off by Hearts goalkeeper Sam Suppey for a corner kick was however wasted by the Dumas Boys. Hearts, with mid-field dynamo Adolf Armah commanding the field, returned the attack and after sustained pressure, Armah pulled even in the 35th minute. Dumas Boys who had the game well in hand in the second half managed to restore their lead in the 67th minute through wing half Joseph Quarteng and kept the game in their favour. Occasionally, Hearts made break-through but the iron-defence of Dumas Boys stood gallantly to ward off the onslaught. Hearts however maintained the pressure and pulled even through right- winger Bashiru Gambo from a corner-kick taken by Armah in the 86th minute.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter