Communications Director for the Ghana Football Association [GFA], Henry Asante Twum has revealed that CK Akonnor had submitted for Ghana’s doubleheader against Zimbabwe next month just a day before he was sacked.
The former Asante Kotoko and Ashgold trainer was shown the exit last week after the Black Stars lost to South Africa in their second Group G game of the 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifiers at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.
On Wednesday, reports emerged that foreign-based players have been invited for the game against Zimbabwe despite the team without a head coach.
But Asante Twum has told Citi TV that the players were handed a call up by Akonnor before he was sacked on September 14.
“What happens is that 3 weeks before every game the coach submits his list,” he said.
He then added regardless of who is hired it is likely that this squad will be used by the next coach
“CK submitted his squad on Sunday and he was fired on Monday, so as we speak there is a squad in mind," he said.
The Black Stars sit 3rd with three points after two games played.
Milovan Rajevac has arrived in Ghana to take charge of the Black Stars for a second spell.
If announced, the 67-year-old’s first game with the team will be against Zimbabwe on October 9 at the Cape Coast Stadium.
Ghana are seeking to participate in the global showpiece having missed the last edition hosted in Russia in 2018.