The Government has released one billion cedis for the celebration of National Festivals Art and Culture (NAFAC) in Wa in the Upper West Region from November 17-26, this year. The celebrations would also be re-launched with a grand durbar of chiefs and people of the region on a date yet to be announced.
These were contained in a press release signed by Mr Ambrose Dery, the Regional Minister after holding a meeting with Professor George Hagan, Chairman of the National Commission on Culture. It said Mr George Hikah Benson, Deputy Upper West Regional Minister and members of the planning committee were also part of the meeting.
The release commended the government for releasing the amount and appealed to organizations and well-endowed individuals to supplement government's efforts by contributing cash and kind for the success of the programme.
It said the staging of the festival in the region was an opportunity for the people to showcase their culture and appealed to the people of the region to play their roles meaningfully for the success of NAFAC in the region.
The release said work on the new offices of Centre for National Culture in Wa was almost completed, while the construction of the amphi-theatre was underway.
The festival, which is supposed to be staged in Wa last year, could not come on due mainly to financial difficulties.