Ten Lessons From COVID-19
1. COVID-19 has exposed the vulnerability and limitations of all nations. The virus spread and scourge reveal that after all, we are all human beings. There are no superhumans or superpowers.
2. Disaster is no respecter of persons or nations. No one is spared. From the Ivory Towers, palaces, skyscrapers to slums and squatters, no one is safe and exempted.
3. No one is busy in the world. When disaster strikes, the busiest people find time to regroup and stay aloof. If you have time for nobody, you'll certainly have time for COVID-19.
4. In the face of death, everything else pales into insignificance. All of a sudden, people no longer care about their appointments, dreams, qualifications, titles, mansions, bank accounts and investments. The world is once again realizing the value of human life. There's no distinction between the life of the rich and the poor.
5. Once again the world is back to its original foundation: the family. The family is the bedrock of society but it's been relegated to the background for so long. COVID-19 is bringing the family into focus inadvertently.
6. Health comes first. Many a time, people tend to lose sight of the fact that good health is indispensable. COVID-19 has forced us all to see our health as a priority once more.
7. We have a shared humanity. No country is an island. Our destiny and fate is inextricably interwoven. What affects one affects all. Our safety, health and well-being are all interlinked. We seek our welfare by seeking the welfare of all others. COVID-19 began as a Chinese problem but soon enough became a pandemic, an albatross on the neck of the world.
8. It is abundantly clear that human rights have limits and boundaries. Today, everyone is claiming the right to be or do one thing or the other. This is further fueled by so-called human rights crusaders who defend the unthinkable. However, COVID-19 has hushed every agitating voice into silence and abeyance.
9. Scientific research and technological advancement have been overrated. Despite all the much-touted achievements in the fields of science and technology, COVID-19 has brought the world to its wobbling knees.
10. The God-factor is indisputable. Even the irreligious are beginning to revise their notes, doubt their philosophies and question the credibility of their knowledge. When the world thought it had all the answers then boom - COVID-19 scourged without mercy and conscience.
In short, COVID-19 has made humans and God God.
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."