The Ghana Health Service (GHS) says there is the possibility that Ghana will record more cases of coronavirus.
According to the director of public health of the GHS Dr Badu Sarkodie, since the pandemic is still raging on and the country does not have a robust health system more cases will be recorded.
“So while the pandemic is not over and generally our health system is not strong, potentially there is a risk we could get more cases,” he told Morning Starr host Francis Abban Wednesday.
Ghana on Tuesday confirmed the 7th case of coronavirus.
So far, a total of 143 suspected cases has been tested for COVID-19 by the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) and Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research (KCCR).
On Monday, two Italians who were set to enter Ghana were stopped from entering the country.
The move is part of Ghana’s effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the country.
Europe is currently the epicentre of the virus with more recent deaths recorded in Italy.
“There were two Italians who were coming from the epicentre and as soon as we got confirmation of the details, even though they were in the air, we had to make an arrangement at the airport to ensure that they do not get off the aircraft and that they are returned to their originating destination,” he told journalists Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the US embassy in Ghana has announced it is suspending routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments as part of efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Ghana.