Mpraeso, March 28, GNA - A 60-year-old retired teacher, Mr Osei Kofi Hwedie, was burnt to death last Thursday when property in his room caught fire from a suspected piece of cigarette he smoking before going to bed. The charred body of the deceased had been deposited at the morgue of the Kwahu Government Hospital, Atibie, for autopsy.
According to the Mpraeso District Police Commander, ASP. Ben Wonkyi, a senior brother of the deceased, Mr Kofi Osei, reported to the police that the charred body of his brother was found in his room early in the morning of last Thursday when onlookers nearby saw smoke from his room, He said when the police went to the room, they found a piece of cigarette lying by the burnt bed as well as a number of books and other personal effects in the single room.
ASP Wonkyi said according to information from the nearby tenants, the deceased was seen drunk the previous evening and was smoking while going home at bedtime. According to them, it was suspected that the deceased might not have put off the cigarette at the time of going to sleep.