Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

body-container-line
10.03.2006 Health

Rabies kills three in Dormaa area

By GNA

Dormaa Ahenkro (B/A) March 10, GNA - Three persons reportedly died of rabies acquired through dog bites at the Presbyterian Hospital at Dormaa Ahenkro in Brong Ahafo in the first two months of 2006. Dr. Agyeman Atuahene Kontor, Dormaa District Director of Ministry of Food and Agriculture disclosed this at a meeting with members of Dormaa Poultry Farmers Association.

He said the veterinary department of the Ministry had consequently declared the area a rabies endemic zone.

"Rabies is so contagious that the Ministry does not hesitate to declare epidemic when two or more deaths are detected", the district director added.

Dr Kontor said the district office of the Ministry and the District Assembly had begun a joint campaign to vaccinate all dogs, cats and domestic monkeys in the district.

"The Assembly will bear 75 per cent of the cost of vaccination on each animal whilst the veterinary department and owners of the pets will take up the cost of the remaining 25 per cent", he said. The District Director debunked the erroneous impression, especially among hunters that vaccinated dogs would become dull and inefficient.

Dr Kontor warned that any pet not covered during the campaign, would be killed by a task force and their owners surcharged. He appealed to traditional authorities and opinion leaders to mobilize communities in readiness for the vaccination exercise.

body-container-line