The lawyer for the three persons accused of trying to takeover the Akufo-Addo government with the help of some military personnel says his clients have denied the allegations against them.
Victor Adawudu said on the Citi Breakfast Show that his clients knew nothing of the weapons found after a raid on the Citadel Hospital last Friday.
“They have confirmed it [the weapons] was found on the premises but as to who owns it, they don't know. They don't have an idea.”
Mr. Adawudu said his clients; Dr. Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, Ezor Kafui and Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu confirmed that some weapons were found on their premises.
But they denied the claims about the buying of chemicals for explosives and the purchases of assault rifles among others.
“Whilst writing the statement, nothing was indicated that when they were arresting them, they found this in their house or they found this at these premises… so it is puzzling or amazing the government comes out with a statement and says this is what we have found.”
“Government prematurely comes to the public to issue a statement when statements had not even been taken [from my clients]. It was after yesterday in the evening that the statement had been taken and I was coming that I heard the press release from the government.”
In the lawyer’s view, the arrests are also a deliberate attempt to divert attention from other issues of national interest.
“For me and my clients, I see it more as a matter to divert attention from the happenings in this country where citizens are complaining,” Mr. Adawu said.
The Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, earlier confirmed that some military personnel were co-conspirators in the alleged plot.
“The updated brief I have is that some soldiers including at least one officer have also been picked up. They are in custody and are being interrogated in connection with this enterprise and when that interrogation is done, the details of that [will be out] and if some of them are to be charged, it will be done.
According to the government, between June and August 2018, one of the suspects contacted a number of serving military personnel “and talked to them into hatching and executing a plot to obtain weapons, take over key installations, and secure funding for the purpose of taking over the reins of government.”
The government also said meetings between the suspects and serving military personnel with a view to executing a plot to obtain weapons, take over key installations, and secure funding for the purported coup “were closely monitored.”