The Telecom Workers Association of Ghana (TWAG) wishes to bring to the notice of the subcontractor (SBC) body in the telecom space that our sit down strike action still continues unabated.
The Telecom Workers Association is a registered entity with over 500 members across the country.
The members comprise Riggers, Technicians, and Civil workers, Engineers, Contractors, and some Sub-contractor staff.
The strike action has been necessitated by the following poor working conditions:
- Low project price is astronomically way below international market price
- Delays in payments of projects completed and signed off
- Avoidable accident on the line of duty due mainly to lack of proper safety environment.
- No grievance procedure to labor complaint and concerns
- No insurance cover for the high-risk jobs performed on-site and workplace
- Low salary for employed Subcontractor staff affecting motivation to work
- Ever-increasing workload without corresponding remunerations in accordance with international standards.
- Last but not the least, the ever-increasing stress arising from the workload on site after physical installation works with no proper compensation given.
The Association has met severally with some subcontractors however no progress has been made on the matters that concern us.
We, therefore, wish to state emphatically that until all the abov_e issues are addressed our members shall continue the strike action.
We wish to take the opportunity to also remind the Telecom Workers Association of Ghana that our General Meeting comes off as planned at the Legan SRC Union Building on Sunday, the 11th, 1.30 pm prompt.
ACTING CHAIRMAN MR GEORGE SEDUDZI