Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

10.02.2006 Regional News

Anloga residents to embark on peaceful demonstration


Kumasi, Feb. 10, GNA - Residents of Anloga in the Kumasi metropolis will stage a peaceful demonstration on Monday, February 13, in protest against the Town and Council Planning Department and the Kumasi Planning Committee for allowing encroachment on a public land in the area. The land earmarked for a community centre and a clinic, has been taken over by the Faith Outreach Ministry for the construction of a church.

A notice of the demonstration issued by the chiefs, assemblyman, unit committee and residents, said it would start from Anloga and end at the Ashanti Regional Co-ordinating Council, where they will present petitions to President Kufuor and the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II through the Regional Minister.

The notice recounted events from Friday, January 27, 2006 when the Church, aided by the police, moved earth moving equipment to the land and demolished properties running into millions of cedis to pave way for the construction of a church, instead of a community centre and clinic. The notice said following the demolition and destruction, Togbui Fugah, Nana Ninsin-Imbeah II and Mr Amidu Gariba, assemblyman issued a press statement to make the public aware of what was happening. The notice said on Wednesday, February 1, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Owusu Berko, Commander of the "A" District of the Police Service in Kumasi bypassed the Manhyia Divisional Police Commander and sent an emissary to invite Togbui Fugah, Nana Ninsin-Imbeah and Mr Gariba to his office.

It said on Thursday, February 2, DSP Owusu Berko threatened to arrest the three people if the residents of Anloga went on demonstration to prevent the church from putting up its chapel. The notice said on Tuesday, February 7, the assemblyman and Nana Ninsin-Imbeah on behalf of residents of Anloga appealed to the workers constructing the church building to stop work till the final determination of the case by the Metropolitan Chief Executive but this was ignored and the construction of the church continued. The residents said not even a directive from the Metropolitan Chief Executive to the Metro Engineer to stop work on the building, could stop the church from continuing with the project.

The residents were left with no option than to demonstrate to bring their case forcibly to the public domain, the notice added.